Sussex County Cricket Club
The County Ground
Tel: 0844 264 0202
About Sussex County Cricket Club
Sussex CCC was the first First-Class County formed in 1839
The Club has used four cricket grounds in Brighton & Hove - matches were played on a ground donated by the then Prince Of Wales and the ground was fittingly called 'The Prince of Wales Ground (where Park Crescent now lies), Temple Fields (where Montpelier Crescent now lies), Royal Brunswick Ground (where Third and Fourth Avenues are situated) and finally in 1871 the ground in Eaton Road was acquired from the Trustees of the Stanford Estate. Turf from the Royal Brunswick Grounds was transferred and re-laid on the square.
The first County match was played at Eaton Road on 6 June 1872 against Gloucestershire. As well as the County Ground, Hove, the Club's First and Second XI regularly play around the County, the grounds at Horsham, Eastbourne and Arundel Castle playing host to First XI fixtures.
The Sussex crest depicts the mythological bird the Martlet, famous for having no feet! Capped players have six martlets on their sweaters whilst non-capped players have just the club crest on the left breast. When it comes to caps the capped players have a crest with gold trimming whilst non-capped have white trimming.
The Club won its first County Championship in 2003, which was the beginning of an era in which Sussex enjoyed prolonged success, named 'The Golden Decade'
In November 2015, an historic merger took place between Sussex County Cricket Club and the Sussex Cricket Board, to form Sussex Cricket Limited. SCL is responsible for the governance and development of the whole game in the county, from recreational to professional level.
1 job with Sussex County Cricket Club
Apprentice Groundsperson for Sussex County Cricket Club