GCSE / Functional Skills Tutor - Maths
Dv8 Sussex is seeking skilled and qualified teachers of Maths to deliver GCSE and Functional Skills sessions in our Brighton and Bexhill centres. Liaising with the vocational tutor teams, the post holder will deliver Maths sessions to groups of 16-19 year old learners, enabling young people with a range of abilities (from Entry Level to Level 2 and throughout the full GCSE range) to progress, build confidence and gain qualifications.
Job purpose: The post holder will be expected to ensure high qualification success rates by developing a curriculum of learning that engages, motivates and challenges. Learners enrolled on our creative vocational courses should be encouraged and enabled to achieve the skills needed for progression in education and life - as well as successfully passing GCSE and/or functional skills exams as required.
The post holder must have a creative mindset, with the ability to engage young people who are motivated and inspired by creativity. Where possible, Maths should be linked to the learners’ vocational area to embed an understanding of how Maths might be used in genuine situations within the creative sector. This may be combined with a more traditional approach to ensure learners are equipped to sit exams.
The post holder will demonstrate effective assessment procedures in order to identify learners’ readiness for GCSE and Functional Skills exams. They will help to develop key areas within the Maths programme including research and application of good practice, as well as liaising with other tutors to identify opportunities to embed numeracy within vocational courses. The post holder will also co-ordinate and carry out teaching and learning activities appropriate to the needs of individual learners; and participate in quality assurance processes, including internal verification, marking and feedback.
Company outline: Dv8 Sussex specialises in delivering innovative training for young people in creativity and media, all taught by industry professionals and designed to provide a real experience of working in a creative environment.
We recognise the strengths of learning through doing something that is challenging, inspiring and creative. The young people on our courses are supported to progress into work or further education following their time with us. All courses contain qualifications embedded within practical activities (such as successfully releasing a music track and staging live performances and events) as well as targeted support for English, Maths and ICT.
Key Duties Associated with the job role
- Plan, deliver and assess GCSE & Functional Skills Maths with small groups of 16-19 year olds, some of whom have barriers to learning
- Develop a range of engaging, innovative and practical resources for delivering quality teaching and learning; and deliver lessons which comply with qualification specifications to prepare students effectively for their final exam
- Mark and assess all student work to an agreed standard; and provide regular high quality feedback to enable students to reflect and progress
- Carry out initial assessments for all learners, and, in liaison with Curriculum Area Lead and Centre Management team, ensure exam entries are submitted, appropriate to level
- Ensure each student has an effective Individual Learning Plan that is used to track progress and agree goals through course and that termly 1-2-1 reviews feed into and support this process
- Work in accordance with the Curriculum Area Lead to ensure all activities, task-sheets and other delivery documents are internally verified and externally moderated as appropriate.
- Contribute to annual Course Review, Professional Development Review and other aspects of the Dv8 Quality Improvement cycle and self-assessment process
- Meet key performance targets related to attendance, retention and overall success rates
- Ensure that safeguarding of learners and staff at Dv8 is paramount at all times.
- Ensure that Dv8’s Equality & Diversity policies, procedures and initiatives are actively promoted to all staff and learners at all times.
- Attend Whole College INSET days and staff training, as appropriate; and maintain up-to-date knowledge and understanding of current developments in GCSE and functional skills English qualifications and pedagogical methods.
- Subscribe and actively contribute to Dv8 Sussex’s Mission, Vision and Values
Key person characteristics sought
- Dedicated to learning
- Able to set oneself, and others, high standards
- Persevering, with a clear Growth Mindset
- Encouraging of others
- Able to give and to receive constructive feedback
- Able to set and maintain clear boundaries
- Confident and relaxed
- A team-player
- An effective communicator
- Committed to modelling professional behaviour
We are looking for tutors local to our different delivery centres in Brighton and Bexhill.
- At least 2 years’ experience of delivering Maths Functional Skills, GCSE or NVQ
- A PGCE or equivalent level 4 teaching qualification required to deliver Functional Skills & GCSE Maths
- Ability to personalise learning and adapt coursework to the needs of a varied client group
- A thorough understanding of the GCSE and Functional Skills standards in Maths
- Experience of managing exam conditions assessment and the administration of exams through awarding bodies
- A commitment to supporting young people who may not have achieved in formal education
- Skills in managing challenging behaviour, and an understanding of complex behavioural needs
- A thorough understanding of the Ofsted Common Inspection Framework
- Willingness to develop own professional capacity and evaluate practice for continuing professional development
- Ability to manage own time and workload effectively
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team
- Basic IT skills and experience of managing learning through use of a VLE (virtual learning environment) or other online methods
- A commitment to Dv8’s Safeguarding and Equal Opportunities policies
- Familiarity with Mac computers
- Experience of working within the 14-19 sector
- Good knowledge of the creative industries
- Edexcel OSCA or other relevant assessor / verifier accreditation (TAQA / CAVA etc)
Dv8 Sussex is an equal opportunities employer and positively welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We are committed to safeguarding all learners enrolled on our programmes and appointment of successful applicants will be subject to satisfactory references being obtained, and an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check.