Governance/Compliance Officer in Horsham
Governance/Compliance Officer, Coast to Capital
Accountable: Head of Communications and Corporate Affairs
Place of Work: Horsham
Hours: Full-time; however, part time and flexible working will be considered
Coast to Capital is the Local Enterprise Partnership for one of the most exciting and successful parts of England. Our area covers Croydon, East Surrey, West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, and Lewes. We determine regional economic priorities, support businesses and make investments to drive growth and job creation.
Our small, highly motivated and engaged team is very ambitious for the future of the region and we have a vacancy for a Governance/Compliance Officer who is responsible for delivering the governance of Coast to Capital and ensuring compliance with our Assurance Framework.
The Government has clearly confirmed its commitment to LEPs and that they want LEPs to lead in the development of local industrial strategies to deliver increased economic productivity. With this increased responsibility comes a heightened focus on good governance and transparency and this role demonstrates that Coast to Capital is committed to leading the way on this.
We believe that this role would appeal to someone who is looking for a new challenge or returning to the workplace. Experience in corporate governance would be desirable but extensive experience is not required.
You would enjoy and be confident in working closely with our highly professional senior management team and committed Board of Directors.
You would be expected to develop an understanding of Coast to Capital and its governance requirements. You would enjoy and be capable of organising and delivering frequent meetings and events during the year. You will be organised, confident, able to prioritise a busy workload, project a professional image and have outstanding interpersonal skills.
As the Governance/Compliance Officer at Coast to Capital, you will work alongside our senior management team, to deliver the governance of the organisation effectively and efficiently. The role also involves ensuring Coast to Capital meets its Assurance Framework and providing advice on compliance. The right candidate will make a positive impact on the quality and efficiency of the delivery of Coast to Capital meetings and events as well as our governance compliance. This is a new role and as such there is the opportunity to make the role your own and grow and develop with the organisation.
- Leading the annual process to review the Assurance Framework in line with Government guidance
- Continually keeping the Assurance Framework under review in order to recommend appropriate updates
- Maintaining and updating Board member Register of Interests
- Maintaining and updating the Corporate Risk Register
- Developing and maintaining governance policies such as hospitality
- Leading and supporting internal audit projects as required by the Audit Committee
- Preparing the annual Governance calendar
- Organising and delivering Coast to Capital Board, Committee and other internal governance meetings, including preparing agendas, commissioning papers, distributing papers (physical and electronic) and minute taking
- Securing meeting venues and organising all aspects of the meetings including welcoming guests, catering and recording attendance
- Organising the recruitment and selection/election of new Board members and Committee members
- Organising Board member induction, annual appraisal, training and development opportunities appropriate to their role
- Responding to enquiries about corporate governance, complaints and FOI requests
- Undertaking any other work as could be expected of a Governance Officer.
The Governance Officer would be expected to travel to meetings across the Coast to Capital area and some meetings may be during evenings.
Knowledge & Experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Corporate Governance experience desirable
- Outstanding and proactive organisational, prioritisation and workload management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with senior staff and Board members
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent IT skills, in particular a good understanding of Microsoft Office Products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Discretion and absolute respect for confidentiality
- Excellent minute taking skills
- Exceptional accuracy and attention to detail
- Well-presented and professional approach
- Team player
To make an application please send, by Wednesday 24 January 2018, a full CV with a short (two pages maximum) covering statement setting out how you believe you could fulfil the requirements of this key role to: Sue Maddin, PA to the Chief Executive, firstname.lastname@example.org
We will acknowledge your application within 24 hours. If you have not received confirmation please contact Sue Maddin on 01403 333847 to ensure we have received your application. Please feel free to call Sue if you would like more information.
Coast to Capital is committed to achieving diversity and equality of opportunity both as an employer and as a commissioner of services. Our Equality and Diversity Policy 2015-2021 is available on request.