Apprentice Recreation Assistant
Post Title: Apprentice Recreation Assistant
Organisation: Cygnets Leisure Centre
Location: Cygnet Leisure Centre, Old Perry Street, Northfleet, Kent, DA11 8BU
Reports to: Facility manager
Date to start: ASAP
Duration: 12 months
You will be responsible to the Operations Manager, although you will be supervised by other Service Managers due to shift patterns for the day-to-day running of the building and its grounds. You will become qualified to National Pool Lifeguard standard (NPLQ) and Swimming teaching (ASA) Level 1 & 2.
You will be required to contribute to your training and development and to understand your role in Gravesham Community Leisure Limited by attending regular Personal Development Meetings. Your line manager will assist you by maintaining a planned approach to agreeing your personal targets, which will reflect the needs of the business.
- To patrol and supervise the various activity areas of the centre to combat vandalism, correct use of equipment and carry out any emergency actions that may be required.
- To Lifeguard in all positions appropriate to the pool at that site (once NPLQ obtained).
- To assist in the tuition of individuals or groups with various sports.
- To undertake Swimming Teaching (once ASA award obtained).
- To undertake the setting up and changing of equipment to meet the programme requirements.
- To assist with the cleaning and maintenance of the centre.
- To maintain a high level of public relations.
- To liaise with the Assistant Manager on duty in response to all complaints received.
- To take reasonable steps at all times to ensure the health and safety of yourself, other staff and members of the public who may be affected by your actions or omissions at work.
- To undertake such other related duties as may be allocated from time to time.
Apprenticeship Training Included within the Role: You will be given an “Individual Learning Plan” for the following qualifications which you will undertake in and around your working hours:
- RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
- ASA Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching)
- ASA UKCC Level 2 Teaching Aquatics
- NVQ Level 2 Activity Leadership
- 1 st 4 Sport Level 2 Employment Awareness
- Level 1 and 2 Functional Skills (Eng & Maths), if required
- Various 1 day courses, e.g. water testing, safeguarding, 1st aid etc...
Alongside accredited qualifications you will receive support from the Learning Support Coordinator at Swim UK who will regularly be in touch to ensure you are happy on your training programme.
Training Provider: SWIM UK
Desirable Qualities: In order to complete the NPLQ lifeguard course you must be able to meet the following criteria:
- Jump / dive into deep water.
- Swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds.
- Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water.
- Tread water for 30 seconds.
- Surface dive to the floor of the pool.
- Climb out unaided without ladder / steps and where the pool design permits.
National Minimum Wage:
The National Minimum Wage (NMW) for Apprentices is £3.70 per hour (as of 1st April). This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum Wage appropriate to their age applies.
The Wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent training.
Pay: £206.70 per week.
Hours of Work: 39 hours per week, Monday – Sunday 6.00 am – 11.15 pm 5 days a week on a rota basis
Holiday: 21 days plus bank holidays.
Eligibility: If you have completed a degree then unfortunately you will not be eligible for funding for an Apprenticeship.