Internship Programme Course Leader
Start date: 3rd September 2018 ( Students start 17th September)
Pay and Hours: £25k pro rata full time equivalent
Contract type: Term time only (39 Weeks)
Days: Monday and Tuesday.
Working hours: 9.15am – 5.15pm with one hour lunch break.
Application Deadline: 9am Friday 27th July 2018
To lead on the coordination and delivery of the Paid Internship Programme (PIP) in Brighton, ensuring placements are successful and positive experiences for the interns, liaising with employers, supporting the young people through their placements and delivering two half days per week of employability and creative industries work-skills in the classroom.
A successful candidate will be passionate about supporting young people to be successful in the digital workplace; to develop valuable skills for getting in and getting on at work. The candidate will be able to engage and inspire the young people to develop a range of skills including Digital Marketing, Presentation Skills and Media Production as well as developing core workplace skills such as Teamwork, Project Management, Working to a Brief, and Communication skills.
Our aim is to ensure the young people are prepared to be successful, confident and ready to thrive in the world of work and DV8 prides itself on its quality relationships with innovative employers across creative, digital and visitor economy in Brighton and East Sussex. This role would suit an individual with a background in Creative Industries and freelance work, with the skills to deliver training motivated by enabling young people succeed going into the world of work.
A high level of digital and workplace skills are essential as well as an ability to communicate effectively with both young people and their placement employers.
Summary of role:
The successful candidate will be working with a cohort of approximately ten, 16 – 18 year olds, delivering the digital and creative employability skills for the workplace, and to manage and support students in work placements with local employers.
Employability and workplace skills sessions will be delivered on a Monday and Tuesday mornings, with the afternoons free from teaching to coordinate the placements, liaise with employers, hold workplace visits or for additional support or tutorial sessions for young people who may need this. The employability skills will be accredited through the Aim Awards Skills For Education and Further Learning (SEFL)
Students will also be supported to develop their English and Maths Skills, both through embedded skills development in the employability sessions and with discreet sessions planned as required at Dv8 on Monday and Tuesday afternoons with our main Maths and English teaching teams.
Dv8 Sussex specialises in delivering innovative training for young people in creativity and media related topics, all taught by industry professionals and designed to provide a real skills for working in a creative environment.
Our tutors use their practical experience within their creative industry to inspire and motivate our students. Dv8 Sussex prides itself on project-based learning, with real outcomes and opportunities to showcase success and innovation.
We recognise the strengths of learning through doing something that is challenging, inspiring and fun. The young people on our courses are supported to progress into employment, apprenticeships or further education following their time with us. All courses contain qualifications embedded within activities and projects as well as targeted support for English and Maths.
Dv8 Sussex is an equal opportunities employer and positively welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We are committed to safeguarding all learners enrolled on our programmes and appointment of successful applicants will be subject to satisfactory references being obtained, and an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check.
Key Duties Associated with the job role
- Design and deliver inspiring creative and digital skills projects throughout the programme covering Digital Marketing, Creative Workplace Skills and Employability
- Work in collaboration with the Dv8 Marketing and Recruitment teams to match students with placements as part of initial induction period.
- Coordinate learner’s placements, supporting employers and visiting workplaces as necessary.
- Lead on teaching, learning and assessment on the programme: assessing and feeding back on work completed, tracking students progress across qualification and work based learning..
- Using industry links and experience, create an exciting, engaging and relevant programme for our students to support them to progress into employment or self-employment
- Using industry links and experience, bring in guest speakers and organise enrichment trips relevant to the course.
- Ensure students are supported to achieve all main course aims and successfully complete their work placement
- To take a lead role in maintaining attendance and retention of students.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with young people and provide advice and support at all times.
- Support the initial assessment process to identify each learner’s appropriate level of learning and Maths & English levels and liaise with DV8’s English and Maths tutors to support the Functional Skills element of the programme where appropriate.
- Ensure that each student’s learning journey is monitored and supported through the completion of an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) and termly reviews are completed thoroughly in a timely manner.
- Ensure that safeguarding of learners and staff at Dv8 is paramount at all times.
- Ensure all quality assurance, course review and improvement processes are followed and that quality improvement plans are implemented within programmes.
- Ensure that Dv8’s Equality & Diversity policies, procedures and initiatives are actively promoted to all staff and learners at all times
Skills required for post
- Experience of delivering learning in an educational environment
- Ability to deliver a range of Digital and Employability skills training relevant to the modern workplace.
- Ability to plan, deliver and assess engaging and effective and adaptable programmes of learning.
- A strong understanding of the needs of employers in the Creative Sector
- Ability to build positive relationships with young people.
- Effective skills in managing classroom behaviour and creating firm boundaries.
- Awareness of safeguarding issues affecting young people.
- Willingness to develop own professional capacity and evaluate practice.
- Hold a level 4 teaching qualification or be willing to enrol on training to achieve this. (this will be offered by Dv8 free of charge if delivering on the programme)
- Experience of working freelance or employed within the Creative and Digital Sector
- Prior Experience of working with 16-18 year olds
- At least 2 years experience of delivering accredited learning
- Youth work, IAG or counselling qualification
To apply for this position, please visit our website and complete our application form: http://www.dv8sussex.com/jobs/