Head of Trading
Salary: £40,000 to £45,000 per annum (dependent on experience)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week over 5 days including some Saturdays and Sundays as required
Closing Date: Monday 3 September 2018
Interview Dates: Week beginning 17 September 2018
Martlets Hospice is a charity that cares for people living through a terminal illness in and around Brighton and Hove. Our care is free thanks to the generosity of local people who help us raise the funds we need to run the service.
Our Trading Company, comprising 10 shops, a distribution centre and e-commerce business, is a vital part of the fundraising mix, with a turnover of nearly £2m a year.
We are looking for a Head of Trading with the ambition and drive to develop and implement our retail strategy. The successful candidate will have the ability to lead, motivate and develop our team of over 30 staff and 300 volunteers to drive profitability and meet targets.
Main duties will include:
- To maximise sales revenue and profit through the implementation of a robust retail strategy and plan
- To explore new income opportunities and ensure optimal returns on the investment in the Trading Company
- To oversee the logistics of the operation, ensuring efficient distribution of stock and processing of recycling and waste via the distribution centre
- Develop and monitor the Trading Company budget of nearly £2m income and circa £1.5m expenditure and to contribute to the development of organisational strategy and business plans. To minimise losses and protect the company’s assets.
- To develop best practice in attracting quality stock donations, tracking and claiming Gift aid on donations and developing customer loyalty
- To oversee the estate of shops; the leases, rent reviews and insurances etc and to maintain the premises to a high standard
Key Skills required:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Min 5 years’ senior management experience in a retail role, ideally at least 2 years in a Charity Retail environment
- Experienced retail professional with a strong working knowledge of multi-site shop operations, warehousing and e-commerce
- Excellent communicator with a high standard of interpersonal skills
- Strong IT skills in Microsoft Office and retail databases in order to produce reports and presentations to all stakeholders
- Strong business acumen
- Intuitive understanding of the charity retail sector, its challenges and opportunities
- Confident driver and holds a current, clean driving licence
In addition to the above salary we also offer a subsidised restaurant, generous annual leave and other benefits.
How to apply:
To request an application form by post, please call People Services on 01273 718788 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to discuss the role in more detail please contact Sally Brighton, Director of Income Generation on 01273 273400 or email email@example.com
Please note that offers of employment are subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks