GCO Operations Manager
Don’t just work for a market leading global company. Help grow one.
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Role & Responsibilities:
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
GCO Operations is charged with improving and maintaining the Legal Department's internal processes, systems and technology. Our responsibilities include managing third party legal spend, professional development, learning and development, and increasing overall operational effectiveness. With an eye to process improvement and help freeing up attorney time, you will identify, implement, and maintain innovative processes and systems to improve the efficiency and quality of the Legal Department’s services at Amex.
This role has a particular focus on managing projects and change management, being able to manage multiple work streams at once, across different regions.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role
Identify priorities and executing to deadlines.
The role requires the candidate to work collaboratively across a number of different responsibility areas, such as:
- Organizational Design and Readiness – inform the design principles of the global GCO team and ensuring appropriate resourcing and readiness.
- Operational Risk and Control – helping identify processes and associated risks, and implementing and managing controls and tests, working alongside various controls function SME’s including the operational risk and audit team.
- Outside Counsel and Third Party Management – contribute to managing outside counsel spend through budget management, and associated processes. Assisting with the management of the Information Security program including the attestation process and identification of risks and gaps, and associated resolution plans. Helping to manage GCO’s standard operating procedures around the measures in place to ensure protection of data with third parties.
- Technology – contributing to the GCO operations technology work stream which includes managing and enhancing our document management system, e-billing and law firm scorecards, enhancing other current technology such as Microsoft Office and participating in exploring new potential technology offerings.
- TSM – help inform and manage GCO requirements and compliance with TSM policies. Help identify gaps, resolution plans and solutions.
- Knowledge Management – refine and improve knowledge management practices.
- Learning and Development – inform the learning and development program including assisting with scheduling, content development and delivery.
- Real Estate – GCO real estate matters such as assigned seating, equipment requirements and ensuring the GCO arrangements are compliant with global real estate policies.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Are you ready for the challenge?
- Strong analytical and logical problem solving skills
- Positive can do attitude
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to develop and maintain effective colleague partner relationships at all levels of the organization and with third party organizations
- Team player with excellent judgment
- High level of professionalism; handles sensitive/confidential information with appropriate care. This role requires a proactive, self-starter who possesses exceptional multi-tasking and communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to present technical information to a non-technical audience, and the ability to understand and interpret business requirement
- Organizational and project management skills
- Competent in handling multiple tasks in a changing environment with attention to detail, and perform duties with minimal supervision
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking/prioritization abilities
- Strives to gain strong institutional knowledge about department and company processes
- Experience working in a sizeable legal department is preferred
- Experience successfully managing relationships with all levels of a legal department, law firm and enterprises colleagues
- Some experience working with technology and software, and exploring efficiency opportunities from technology
Location: Belgrave House, London
Workplace Flexibility: Potential to work remotely part of the time based on current projects and team needs.
Why American Express:
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time