Director Product Management
You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
The American Express Global Remittance platform powers the movement of over one trillion dollars around the world every year. We are looking for a passionate and experienced product leader for a Director Product Owner to join the Global Remittance Platform team. In this role you will drive the vision, strategy and innovation of product capabilities ensuring that it meets the evolving needs of the enterprise, problem solving in a fast moving environment and helping revolutionize the software delivery model for American Express.
The Global Remittance team is part of American Express’ Enterprise Platforms organization. Enterprise Platforms is a newly formed organization whose core purpose is to transform, the platform solution-delivery model for American Express, dramatically improving our strategic agility, speed to market, effectiveness of delivery and transparency while simultaneously delivering world class software products to our customers.
The Enterprise Platforms team has three core charters of responsibility:
- Platforms: This team is the proving ground for transforming our software delivery model so that a single unified team is responsible for the product development, engineering, architecture and service management of enterprise platforms. Today, there are four large scale platforms within Enterprise Platforms: Global Remittance, Global Loyalty & Benefits, Global Salesforce, and Global Accounts Receivable.
- Platform Strategy: This team will ensure cohesive oversight of platforms across the Enterprise, including infrastructure uplift and the resolution of overlapping priorities as well as how AXP’s platforms adapt to emerging trends and customer demands.
- Product Management: This team will serve as a product talent management hub, help drive consistency of product management practices and build a talent pipeline, as well as foster a collaborative culture across the Enterprise.
Global Remittance is a crucial component of our macro-level business processes; Authorization, Merchants Payables, Billing and Payments. The Payments landscape across American Express is undergoing unprecedented change that includes rapid development of new product innovations, evolving technology standards and an ever changing money movement landscape. The Director of Product Management for Global Remittance will focus on driving capability of strategic priorities whilst preparing for future trends, enhancing our customer experience and addressing internal gaps.
Accountable for the creation and delivery of a product or suite of products within American Express. Responsible for leading and evangelizing a full feature and capability roadmap for a specific product, facilitating go-to-market and/or upgrade strategies, driving innovation and quality with internal and external teams, and ensuring that our organization builds and protects the American Express brand.
Reports to a VP in a Product Management organization within a Business, AXP Staff Group or Technology Shared Services team and may have people leadership responsibilities for Group Product Managers, Senior Product Managers, Product Managers and Associate Product Managers.
- Defines a product portfolio vision and strategy aligned with high-level vision and strategy
- Defines product outcomes for the product segment, in line with the high-level product portfolio and company, organizational outcomes
- Understands and applies new trends and market standard methodologies into product roadmap and requirements
- Communicates and build consensus across multiple departments in crafting the product roadmap
- Responsible for the full-cycle management of a single product which includes: Assess Market, Craft Product Strategy, Create Product Vision, Build Product Roadmap, Plan Product Release, Design and Development, and Execution/Launch of a product
- Understand the market and customers’ needs, and translate into a value • Defines and articulates a long-term product strategy and roadmap with clearly defined business metrics and targets
- Develops appropriate tracking and reporting to track product performance post launch in order to evaluate future investment
- Produces return on investment analyses and optimization recommendations
- Identifies risks, challenges, opportunities and business integration needs
- Make rapid feature, schedule and cost tradeoff decisions and communicate in real time to key partners
- Leads product managers and associate product managers to translate product roadmap into a product backlog of well-defined epics and features with appropriate acceptance criteria
- Ensures the sprint backlog is consistent with the Product Roadmap and performs story elaboration with the implementation team as necessary
- Works closely with the technology team to develop, test and deliver the defined capabilities and rapidly iterate new solutions as needed
- Reviews and accepts completed user stories as needed
- Define and communicates metrics for a product to all critical partners involved in the product management life cycle
- Coordinates communications, advances and facilitates resolution of risks, issues, and changes tied to the product development
- Align with partners during planning, launch, and iterative states
- Facilitate teamwork and alignment between cross-functional teams including engagement, design, analytics, engineering, and experimentation
- Work with key partners across the Organization, as necessary, in support of product(s)
- Work within and across business units to prioritize, plan, and execute the development schedule for major product releases
- Work with system/platform architects to understand and prioritize architectural features across platforms/products
- Confirm available product resourcing and funding from responsible parties
Scope of Impact/Influence
- Work closely with customers and partners to define, develop, and implement development efforts to drive the greatest value for our customers.
- Define product outcomes for their product segment, in line with the high-level product portfolio, and will be accountable for meeting those outcomes
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Education & Experience
- Significant experience in Product Management with proven track record in defining winning product constructs and delivering a product roadmap
- Experience with rapid and iterative software development methodologies
- Proven track record managing large, complex products with multiple partners
- University Degree in computer science, engineering or a related technical discipline required; MS preferred or equivalent experience
Technology Core Competencies
- Adaptive Communication
- Agile Practices
- Industry and Company Knowledge
- Organizational Change Management
- Technical Acumen
- Technology Industry Trends
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Continuous Improvement
- Servant Leadership
Role Core Competencies
- System/Platform Domain Knowledge
- Business Analysis
- Financial Management
- User Experience Evaluation and Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Builds High Performing Teams
- Executive Presence
- Influence and Negotiation
- Business Case Development
- Business Product Knowledge
- Problem Solving
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- Car Allowance/Company Car Option
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time