National Numeracy is an independent charity established in 2012. Our aim is to enable everyone across the UK to be confident and competent in using numbers and data, to be able to make good decisions in their daily life and at work. We aim to challenge prevailing attitudes, influence public policy and research, identify and promote effective approaches to improving numeracy. Founded in 2012, the work of National Numeracy is carried out in collaboration with, and support from key partner organisations and funders. We are a small team applying our expertise and passion for the issue to address the frequently neglected yet essential role of numeracy in our everyday lives.
National Numeracy works with employers, unions, learning providers and further education settings across the country on a range of projects and programmes that help engage adults with improving their numeracy. Your job will be to manage the relationships with the external organisations that we work with and help them to implement these projects. You will work with the National Numeracy team to devise the best way for them to do that, whether that is through workshops or internal marketing campaigns or other bespoke offers. You will also be involved in reaching out to new partner organisations, helping them understand the benefits of improved numeracy for their staff and their business.
National Numeracy is based in Lewes, East Sussex, but you will be able to travel when necessary to facilitate engagement. As an integral member of a small team you will be involved in, and exposed to, all the functions supporting a dynamic charity addressing a crucial issue.
Overview of Main Duties:
- Work closely with secured partnerships across the NHS to engage them in the work of National Numeracy.
- Regularly visit employers across the South East and London to build relationships with key stakeholders and support them to implement National Numeracy’s programmes into their organisations.
- Work with a range of external agencies to build engagement with the National Numeracy Challenge in a range of settings. Where appropriate, negotiating contracts for the use of National Numeracy’s systems.
- Help devise the best method for individual organisations to engage their staff and working with the rest of the partnerships team to deliver the programmes.
- Work with the wider NN team to continually improve our offer to organisations.
- Work with the team to monitor engagement.
- Reach out to new organisations to encourage engagement with National Numeracy.
- Continually work towards the charity’s aims and objectives.
National Numeracy retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position as required.
You will be:
- Dynamic, enthusiastic and self-motivated.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- A creative thinker keen to use your initiative to support the overall aims of the organisation.
- Well organised with good time management and able to prioritise.
- Numerate and able to identify with the importance of numeracy and the aims of the organisation.
- Resilient and prepared to see tasks through to finish.
- Track record in relationship management and /or sales.
- Excellent written skills.
- Skills in a broad range of software packages including word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Good at detail, spotting mistakes, anticipating problems and finding alternative solutions.
- Confident presentation skills
- Degree level education or equivalent experience.
- Experience of working in the third sector or in an education environment.
Based in friendly offices in Lewes, National Numeracy consists of a small team. We offer:
- 25 days’ holiday a year
- on-site parking and 15 min walk to Lewes station
- company pension scheme
- a flexible approach to working
National Numeracy offers a supportive working environment. We are a friendly team and have regular team events. We take life-long learning seriously and support all staff members to continue their learning journey during their time at NN.
If you think you are right for this role but are seeking part time work, then give us a call to discuss.
This position will be based in Sussex but with travel within the UK when required.
How to apply
In the first instance, interested applicants should submit a CV with covering letter outlining their suitability for the role and why they want to work with us to Abigail Hartfree at email@example.com by 18th March 2019
*National Numeracy reserve the right to change the deadline for applications if a suitable candidate is found.