Senior Business Development Manager - West Africa
Don’t just work for a market leading global company. Help grow one.
The Global Network Partnerships organization partners with banks and financial institutions to drive merchant acceptance and issue cards on the American Express network.
Reporting to the Business Development Director – East/West Africa this role will support the ongoing management of existing partners and launch new partners across West Africa, with a particular focus on Nigeria and Angola.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensuring ‘best-in-class’ relationship management of the partnerships including managing multiple relationships with the partner businesses acting as the key point of contact.
- Accountability for delivering across all key business metrics particularly supporting merchant coverage objectives, e.g. LIF, ALIF, and Discount Billed Volume.
- For Nigeria, supporting the launch of new issuing partners and working closely with them to meet NCA, CIF and billings objectives.
- Identifying new opportunities for growth and working closely with the BDL in signing and launching new partnerships, or new markets with existing partners.
- Working with the partners and the African marketing team in AXP to develop our brand presence, plus an issuing and/or merchant growth plan.
- Supporting the broader Africa team to identify strategic opportunities in the emerging African payments space, assessing them, and gaining leadership approval to invest and deliver against these.
- Keeping up-to-date with the changing regulatory environment and briefing AXP stakeholders on the potential impacts to the AXP business.
- Working with AXP stakeholder groups (Operations, GCO, Compliance etc.) to ensure smooth implementations for new partners on the network and ongoing operational efficiency.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- First class relationship skills gained through interacting at all levels both internally and in partner organizations.
- Highly analytical and numerical, ability to clearly communicate complex issues.
- Proven ability to create winning strategies.
- Excellent core project management skills.
- Strong planning and organisational skills, ability to manage and see delivery of complex projects through to an end.
- Broad card industry knowledge gained through experience in either card issuing or acquiring, ideally both.
- Strong influencing and communication skills to promote ideas, products and services internally and to the partner.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, financial acumen and ability to drive and deliver results, resilient attitude in challenging business environments.
- Willingness to take initiative and full ownership of responsibilities.
- Willingness to travel across the region at least 25% of the time.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).