Catering Apprentice (Food Production)
The Oasis Beach Shop offers a variety of home cooked foods and the successful applicant will be working alongside the business owner learning how we prepare our dishes. Initially you will be involved in preparing:
- Cooked breakfasts
- Fish and chips, omelettes, salads, jacket potatoes, sandwiches
- Home baking, e.g. scones, bread pudding
- We are planning to develop the business to expand the range of food and drink we can offer, e.g. roast and home-made pies, plus creating an area to serve special coffees and home-made cakes.
We would also like to introduce some vegetarian dishes and this will hopefully be a project our apprentice can be heavily involved in.
A meal will be provided, plus chef white jackets.
Full training will be given.
Day to day tasks will include :
- Work with the manager and all staff to ensure a professional and safe working environment.
- Assist the chef in the preparation of the dishes ordered and help ensure all orders are completed in a timely manner.
- Will be required to use ovens, microwaves, fryers, griddles, grills and knives in accordance with the training given.
- Prepare fresh chips using the potato peeler and chipping machines.
- Take orders for hot food and serve hot drinks and beverages using specialist equipment.
- Keep all surfaces clean and tidy, assist in the cleaning and clearing of tables, shelves, fridges, freezers and floors.
- Ensure that all food fridges and cabinets are stocked and that the stock is rotated properly in accordance with food safety policies.
- Assist customers with food product contents relating to allergen and other dietary information requests.
- Inform assistant manager of low stock levels.
- Assist with closing down kitchen, ensuring all equipment and surfaces are cleaned in accordance with procedures.
- Project a professional image and dress code at all times.
- Able to work as part of a team.
- Willing to learn.
- You must be able to work under pressure as it can get very busy during the summer.
- Good time keeping.
GCSE English & maths grade C (or equivalent qualifications) desirable.
Potential permanent full-time employment on successful completion of the apprenticeship
Things to consider
You will be physically active for long hours and it can get extremely busy in the summer.
The hourly wages will depend on the age of the apprentices:
Age 16 = £5.00 per hour, Age 17 = £5.50 per hour, Age 18 & over =£6.00 per hour, up to age 20.
3 monthly reviews can increase the wage rates.