English Course Leader
Job Title: Course Leader for English in Bexhill with teaching responsibilities: Working across English Entry-Level Functional Skills to GCSE
Contract: 40 weeks per year, Permanent, Term-Time only
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday, 9.15am – 5.15pm (TBC)
Salary: £25.5k pro-rata (based on an equivalent 35 hour p/w, 52 weeks per year full-time post)
Closing Date: Sunday 16th June
Interview Date: Friday 21st June
Dv8 Sussex is seeking a Curriculum Area Lead for English to teach and lead on the development of the Functional Skills and GCSE English delivery in our Brighton Centre. The English Course Leader will deliver the English curriculum across all vocational cohorts at Levels 1-3.
Term starts for students on 16th September and we would be seeking for a post holder to start as close to that point as possible.
Teaching Learning and Assessment
- Plan, deliver and assess English Functional Skills and GCSE provision across all Vocational areas.
- Ensure all students receive an effective initial assessment, accurately identifying English and literacy levels and additional learning needs. Ensure that this process supports the learning process, enables individualised target and goal setting and the mapping of progress throughout programme.
- If any additional literacy learning support needs are identified, ensure that a clear plan is put in in collaboration with the Learning Support Manager to meet these needs and disseminate accordingly.
- Ensure that all student pre-enrolment information and initial assessment information is used to plan for effective delivery and differentiation of learning
- Oversee the timetabling of additional English “catch-up” sessions for students as required
- Feed-into, and contribute to ILPs, student live files and 1-2-1 reviews to support English learning and evidence progress for every learner.
- Ensure assessment of learning is on-going, effective and delivered as per the assessment plan on the Scheme of Work. Where actions to improve are identified, ensure that a clear plan of action is put in place and followed with demonstrable impact on the quality of assessment, evidencing of learning and tracking of student progress.
- Ensure that all staff are aware of, and planning for, dates of both GCSE and Functional Skills mock and actual exams.
- Support the Access Arrangements process in liaison with the Learning Support Manager and Dv8 Exams Officer.
- Support vocational staff to ensure that English is embedded throughout the curriculum and that opportunities to embed literacy skills are built into all curricula.
- Liaise with Awarding bodies as appropriate, lead on exam timetabling and oversee English exam registrations for awarding bodies.
- Co-ordinate and lead on English curriculum planning in the Bexhill centre, ensuring that each curriculum is designed to meet the needs of students, and provides clear planning for assessment, any internal verification, examination and progression.
- Ensure all course curricula meets the criteria set out by awarding bodies and within EFA Study Programme funding guidelines.
- Liaise with IQA and Delivery and Performance Manager to sign off curriculum prior to each academic year’s planning deadline.
- Ensure that student profile information from the admissions process is used to develop and inform curriculum design.
- Create a positive environment for learning and set high expectations for the teaching teams team in relation to standards of student attendance, achievement and the quality of teaching, learning and assessment.
- Lead on termly Course Progress reviews, reviewing all learner progress and support needs throughout the year with the Delivery and Performance Manager and Managing Director.
- Lead on annual full Self Assessment and Quality Improvement Planning for the English provision in Brighton as part of ongoing organisational Self Assessment and Improvement planning processes.
- Liaise with parents and carers as required to support achievement in the English Provision
- Attend Parents Evenings at least twice per year to ensure parents are engaged in the young persons learning journey and aware of progress throughout the year
- In collaboration with teaching teams, put in place clear action plans for student identified as at risk of non-achievement in English
- Hold a formal teaching qualification at level 4 (CTLLS or equivalent) or above.
- Hold a Degree level qualification (ideally in a related sector area)
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of teaching English GCSE and preferably delivering English Functional Skills
- A demonstrable record of success in previous roles.
- Significant successful experience of teaching relevant course areas
- Up to date knowledge of the subject area, syllabus requirements and appropriate teaching techniques; an awareness of requirements of awarding bodies.
- Knowledge and understanding of mechanisms for the identification, assessment and support of learner needs
- Understanding of equality and diversity within the curriculum, barriers to learning and strategies to overcome these
- Practical and professional knowledge of creative industries
Personal attributes and qualities
- The ability to lead, motivate and support a team of teaching professional
- Good organisational and administrative skills
- Good IT skills
- The ability to work flexibly as part of a team.
- The ability to make a contribution to the development of the curriculum and resources.
- The suitability to work with children and young people.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A good work ethic with the ability to work under pressure, to be flexible, thorough and accurate.
- A commitment to provide an outstanding and inspirational service to staff and students.
- A commitment to Dv8’s core values, with particular focus on student success through high quality teaching, learning and assessment.
To apply for this position, please complete our application from via our website: http://www.dv8sussex.com/jobs/