Sous Chef, Guildford
Barnett Hill Hotel is the newest member of the Alexander Hotels family joining the Group in September 2016.
Barnett Hill is a beautiful Queen Anne style property, built in 1905, set within 26 acres of lovingly maintained gardens and woodlands, sitting in the heart of the Surrey Hill area of outstanding natural beauty just outside Guildford, Surrey. This idyllic location is 15 minutes from Guildford town and 45 mins from Central London.
Exciting refurbishment and redevelopment plans currently underway are transforming this venue into a beautiful Country House Hotel with a luxury Spa. The Hotel including all bedrooms have been completely refurbished and updated with work currently underway on the Mews building to increase the number of bedrooms to 54 in total. Our first AA inspection has resulted in 4 Stars for the Hotel and 2 Rosettes for dining being awarded, so we are well on the way!
Please see our website for details of the hotel and the facilities.
Reporting to the Head Chef, David James, with responsibility for all aspects of food production from sourcing suppliers to delivering customer excellence in the finished dish.
Along with the product development planned for Barnett Hill Hotel there are great opportunities to develop the food standards and offering at the hotel.
Creating a restaurant menu to inspire local patrons, an afternoon tea menu that encourages loyal local business will all be on the to do list of the new Head Chef.
You will be support by your Head Chef as well as Tim Hall the General Manager and will be provided with the equipment and staff resources you need to deliver on these ambitions.
You will be responsible for;
- Recruitment, training and coaching team of 6 Chefs and 3 Kitchen Porters – adding to your team as the business grows
- The menu planning, supplier resourcing, ordering, delivery, storage, preparation, cooking and service across the range of food areas within the Hotel
- Development of menu ideas to progress the food offering to achieve rosette standards across all areas of service; restaurant, banqueting, afternoon tea, corporate functions
- Ensure compliance with HACCP and food hygiene, health and safety legislation.
- Achieving gross profit targets on dishes to allow for future investment in the facilities and staffing
- Creating passion, flair and drive in your team to assist the hotel to achieve its quality and business objectives. Practice and promote effective teamwork and communication amongst your direct work colleagues and colleagues in other departments.
The business is varied offering catering to Hotel Guests, In-house Conference Delegates, as well as guests from the local area. Barnett Hill is a popular wedding venue with weddings taking place in the 2 wedding suites.
- Experience of developing a quality hotel restaurant to 2 rosette standard
- Proven record of team selection and retention that supports the development of excellent standards
- Demonstrate during a cooking trial the practical ability and flair that will be required to drive and motivate others on the team to achieve
- Demonstrate ideas of how the food offering can be developed and standards improved when being interviewed
- Hold the experience to manage the multi menu requirements and busy banqueting operation.
- Live locally or have the ability to relocate to the area with own transportation.
- 4 weeks holiday increasing with service
- 8 Bank holidays
- Free car parking
- Employee uniform
In addition you will benefit from a range of company benefits including:
Discounted hotel accommodation for yourself and your family at all hotels
Discounted hair treatments at our two Utopia Spas
Discount off all food & beverage at all hotels
Discount of individual treatments booked in our two Utopia Spas
Discount on retail products in our two Utopia Spas
Refer a friend staff recruitment scheme In additional you will enjoy a range of other benefits when you celebrate your 1 yr, 3 yr and 5 yr anniversary including; your birthday off paid, complimentary overnight stays, complimentary lunch/afternoon tea and service related holiday