1 day left
- Contract Type
Don’t just follow digital trends, Help create one.
We are looking for a skilled and enthusiastic Java engineer with significant experience with an enquiring mind, to help us build a global platform that will form a backbone of American Express’s regulatory compliance landscape. We are building the platform as a set of microservices communicating via a mixture of synchronous APIs and asynchronous messaging, as well as an Angular/Express user interface. This approach allows us to grow and evolve our technology stack and take advantage of innovative solutions. Java is the core technology but we need someone who understands a range of associated technologies and has a proven ability to get to grips with new ideas quickly. We work on a mixture of greenfield development and integration with existing enterprise solutions.
Joining the UK-based KYC (Know Your Customer), AML (Anti-Money Laundering) and Regulatory Reporting Technologies team, this role will be focused on driving the development of innovative solutions to satisfy the needs of our business – as an agile team we work closely with our business partners to understand what they require, and we strive to continuously improve as a team - we all have a role in accelerating our delivery of high quality reliable and resilient code, and that means taking control of our complete delivery pipeline.
This is an opportunity to work in a diverse team within a diverse organisation with fantastic scope for career progression, either technical or people focused. You will have a chance to work in a vibrant campus that has, over the last few years, brought together a range of highly skilled technical people covering every level of experience and a real variety of backgrounds. You will be able to help decide what technologies are used – we embrace innovation both in our day to day work and through events such as hackathons and internal tech conferences.
The software engineer will be part of KYC scrum team, but will have opportunity to work across the portfolio. The role will include, but is not limited to:
Greenfield development using a micro-service, cloud based containerised architecture
- Identifying DevOps opportunities to streamline the deployment pipeline and increase the ability of the team to be in control
- Refactoring and migrating legacy code
- Understanding the capabilities and usage of other systems, including the Amex Big Data platform
- Troubleshooting problems by debugging and log analysis, and identifying ways to avoid or simplify troubleshooting through improvements to monitoring, alerting and self-correcting code
- Taking full part in agile activities and working with an agile mindset of continuous improvement
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Posting date: 21/5/19
Closing date: 18/6/19
- Ability to create clean, high quality, well designed and well tested code in one or more languages
- Experience and understanding of associated systems and supporting frameworks – version control, build automation, and ideally containers and container orchestration, as well as familiarity with *nix based operating systems.
- Experience of relational databases, database tools like Couchbase, Druid, DB2 and Hadoop and associated technologies
- Strong Experience in Spring, Apache CXF, Mockito, Spring cloud with extensive knowledge of Kafka
- Well versed with various build tools like Maven, Ant and Gradle
- Strong experience in API use and design, and messaging, ideally with experience of Apache Kafka
- Good understanding of tools like JIRA, IntelliJ, Eclipse IDE, Jboss Developer, Websphere, Openshift
- Knowledge of monitoring tools like Splunk, AppD and Dynatrace
- Well versed with Microservice based architecture
- An understanding of security of data in transit and at rest, and an appreciation of application security vulnerabilities and how they may be mitigated
- Proven experience with a Financial organisation
- Degree level education (or similar experience) with significant overall work experience
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (free phone, subject to individual carrier charges). For Russia based candidates on 810 800 83 000038.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time