Electrical Installation Apprentice
About the Employer:
A British company and the only manufacturer of intraocular lenses in the UK
Rayner designs and manufactures intraocular lenses and proprietary injection devices for use in cataract surgery.
With more than 65 years of continuous growth and experience, we now sell to over 80 countries and remain at the forefront of innovation. Our mission is to deliver innovative and clinically superior ophthalmic products that consistently respond to the expectations of our global customers and reward the profound trust placed in us to improve sight and quality of life.
Reporting to the Head of Facilities, the Facilities Apprentice will need to be able to work within a small team in order to respond to a variety of tasks and requests whilst shadowing the onsite engineering team, providing general assistance for the day-to- day activities of the team.
As part of the facilities team, assist in maintaining the structures, mechanical and electrical services at the Company's premises including the following key functions:
· Carry out routine maintenance activities in accordance with the Company's and / or third-party specialist procedures and requirements
· Carry out routine inspection functions in accordance with the Company's and / or third-party specialist procedures and requirements
· Plan and manage preventative maintenance activities including works in-house and works by 3rd party providers
· Assist the Facilities team in managing service provider contracts including arranging and supervising contractor attendances and unplanned works.
· Carry out all duties in accordance with the Health and Safety Policy and procedures
· Assist with ongoing improvement of Health and Safety throughout the business
· Assist the Facilities team to ensure compliance with relevant statutory obligations
· Update and maintain the Facilities database in accordance with the Companys procedures
· Draft day work orders, supervise contractors.
· Review and report on equipment performance levels
· Review and report on contractor performance levels
· Assist in maintaining a range of mechanical equipment and when required undertake works such as lighting, small power, fire alarms systems, and some other similar type systems.
· Consult with management on identified needs and the implementation of repair projects.
· To carry out other duties appropriate to the level and character of the post
· Potential to provide split-shift cover Mon-Fri
Free tea & coffee, subsidised restaurant and generous holiday entitlement
Training to be Provided:
Level 3 Apprenticeship in Elecrical Installation
This Apprenticeship Standard will include the City & Guilds 5357-03 Level 3 Electrotechnical Qualification as the mandatory qualification. You will be expected to attend timetabled lessons at the Crawley Campus, on a day-release basis, for a period of 3 academic years.
With support from Crawley College, you and your employer will develop and maintain examples of your work to meet their apprenticeship standard through on-going assessment, consisting of meetings with your employer, 12 weekly reviews and observations of workplace competency.
• City & Guilds 5357-03 Level 3 Electrotechnical Qualification
• English and Maths at Level 2 or equivalent (the apprentice should have these before being accepted on the apprenticeship)
This Apprenticeship will take 42-48 months
Competent IT user able to use and learn different packages and systems in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
Ability and willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge
Enthusiastic, self-motivated, forward thinking and resourceful
Excellent time management, communication and client management skills
Flexible attitude to work
Able to communicate with a range of people from different backgrounds including ethnic, social and professional both verbally and in writing
Able to work as part of a team
GCSE grade A*- C in Maths and English or Functional Skills level 2 in both.
Any Applicant would ideally have the personal qualities to match those of our core values:
Ambition: We have the drive to continuously improve
Integrity: We are accountable for what we do acting ethically and in the best interests of our customers, patients and stakeholders
Openness: We positively consider new ideas and challenges
Respect: We support each other and our customers to succeed
Potential to earn Full time position upon completion of Apprenticeship
Other Important Information:
All applications must be made through Apprenticeship vacancies. Do not contact the employer direct as this may result in your application not being considered. The National Minimum Wage for Apprentices is £3.70 per hour effective from 1st April 2018. This is the legal minimum pay per hour applying to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their apprenticeship. For apprentices 19 or over who have completed their first year and are continuing their apprenticeship, the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies.