Senior UX Researcher
You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
The Enterprise Digital & Analytics (EDA) team is passionate about creating a better journey for every user from beginning to end – and we're continually evolving our User Experience (UX) practice to meet our Card Members’ changing digital needs.
Within EDA, the User Experience Research (UXR) & Insights team is looking for a Senior UX Researcher. Reporting to the Director of UX Research and Insights, you’ll be responsible for delivering individual research projects, uncovering and translating user needs that drive customer-centered design solutions across our membership experiences, in our website and mobile app.
The right candidate will have experience in delivering qualitative user research, awareness of Design Thinking, and be hands-on in the delivery of insights to Product Owners, Designers, and business stakeholders.
- Transform ideas, business opportunities, and creative vision into desirable outcomes for our users – establishing user needs and goals from the outset.
- Work under the guidance & direction of a Principal researcher, consulting with Product Owners and Designers to determine their insight needs, make appropriate recommendations, and craft research plans that align with their product roadmap.
- Owner of assigned project/s, delivering insights for consumer-facing digital experiences during all phases of design and development (generative and evaluative).
- Run a regular usability lab to deliver Rapid Iterative Testing and Evaluation; from taking in research briefs/requests and creating a research pipeline, to reviewing stimulus, conducting prep meetings and walkthroughs, running the observation room and managing stakeholders, to reviewing the vendor deliverables.
- Work in a hybrid model, where research may be undertaken directly by you as a practitioner, in partnership with a vendor, or delivered entirely by a 3rd party.
- Work across multiple markets to identify global solutions, across all stages of the customer lifecycle.
- Synthesize learnings across assigned projects, and upload team reports to a research repository.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the UXR team as we build the maturity of our function, helping educate stakeholders, as well as sharing best practice with peers and colleagues.
- Stay connected across the wider team (including CX/Voice of Customer) to ensure we have a joined-up approach.
- Operate as part of a research pod led by a Principal researcher, taking on projects as necessary to deliver against priorities for the upcoming sprint or program increment.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Psychology, Interaction Design, Design Strategy, or similar; or equivalent practical experience.
- Significant interactive/digital work experience within a consultancy or client-side, with a passion for User Experience Research.
- A portfolio with project examples that show experience as a research practitioner in identifying research needs, matching those needs to research methods, and aligning approach with overall business strategy.
- Knowledge of different qualitative methods and tools, e.g. usability testing, remote testing, focus groups, card sorting and co-creation, and when to apply them.
- An understanding of how quantitative research methods (e.g. surveys, A/B testing) work together with qualitative methods to provide a comprehensive range of insights.
- Ability to drive results whilst managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Can manage multiple stakeholders and vendor partners effectively, to ensure project delivery.
- Ability to draw on multiple inputs (reporting data, metrics, qualitative and quantitative insights, and stakeholder/business direction) to arrive at customer-focused recommendations.
- Comfortable working with team members spread across multiple locations and timezones, in a matrix environment.
- Examples of insight gathering through a range of qualitative and quantitative methods and related tools, from usability testing and contextual inquiry; to survey design and remote testing (e.g. with UserZoom or Qualtrics); to focus groups, card sorting, participatory design, and ethnography, etc.
- Experience facilitating workshops on topics such as design thinking, rapid prototyping, and empathy + journey mapping.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time