Advisor – Health, Safety & Environment - Virgin Atlantic
Advisor – Health, Safety & Environment
Salary: Competitive with excellent benefits
Contract: Permanent Full time
Hours: Monday - Friday 09.00 - 17.30
Location: The Base, Fleming Way, Crawley
Closing date: 03 November 2019
Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including part-time, different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what’s possible for the role.
In a nutshell
To deliver competent health, safety and environmental advice across the Virgin Atlantic Airways (VAA) property portfolio and core business activities. Achieving this by reducing the likelihood of accidents/incidents occurring to employees and the company breaching HS&E legislation.
Day to day
- You will be first point of contact for Safety matters relating to Engineering / Ground Handling
- Encourage a continual improvement in safety performance by coaching of Engineering Management.
- Develop meaningful and cohesive relationships with business areas in order to influence implementation of safety standards
- In conjunction with our supervisors and management, ensure effective risk assessment processes are in place for all the company's activities, including all statutory requirements
- Assist in the development of safe systems of work and ensure that all hazardous substances are handled and disposed of safely
- Draft guidance, HS&E alerts and input into procedures and policy
- Advise business areas on the suitability and sufficiency of their risk assessments and assist completion
- Assist Facility Services in conducting compliance audits to identify significant HS&E risk issues, e.g. Legionella, Fire, Statutory Inspections
- Develop specialist knowledge in designated topic areas and use this knowledge to support colleagues and the business
- Identify the resources necessary to accomplish safety programme objectives
- Prepare collate and review safety related documentation submitted by both internal and external stakeholders including: Safety Plans, Training documents, noise and vibration assessments, MDS/COSHH data and assessments, Environmental risk assessments, PAT records, PUWER inspection etc.
- Lead investigations into significant incidents
- Identification and evaluation of current liability exposures
- Attendance and input into all SSAGs
- Promote the VAA Safety Culture and influence Company and divisional safety objectives.
- Assist with a range of communication mediums e.g. safety website, safety notice boards or publications.
We are looking for an Advisor - Health, Safety & Environment with a strong focus on busy, multi-site Engineering (Hangar & Line) and Ground Handling operations. To apply for this opportunity you will need to possess minimum Tech IOSH status, ideally CMIOSH or working towards this.
You will have proven experience working as a Health and Safety Advisor and Aviation/Engineering experience is preferred but not essential.
A key team player, you will be a strong and effective communicator displaying diplomacy at all times with a proficient working knowledge of engineering specific hazards, risks, controls & management (Experience with COSHH, HAV, Noise etc. preferred)
This is a fast paced role so exceptional day to day organisation skills, attention to detail and flexibility are paramount.
So if this sounds of interest and you are looking for the next step in your career with a company that truly values its employees, then we would love to hear from you.
We recognise the value you add to our dynamic company. That's why we give our people the rewards that they deserve. We have a whole host of benefits to help you enjoy life to the full, including up to seven flights a year to a wide range of fabulous Virgin Atlantic destinations. Of course you can also take advantage of discounts on our amazing Virgin Holidays hotels. We also offer a competitive benefits package including pension and private medical schemes and life assurance. You can even self select whats important to you through our benefits portal. We appreciate that life is busy, so when operationally possible remote working is available.
Be Yourself - Our Differences make us stronger
Virgin Atlantic and Virgin holidays are committed equal opportunities employers and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible applicants regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy and maternity. Diversity brings strength which is why we strive to provide an inclusive environment where individuality is celebrated and we can unleash the potential of our forward-thinking mix of people.
Click here to follow us on LinkedIn and view our latest company updates and current live vacancies.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Atlantic does not accept unsolicited agency CVs.