Engineering Director - Payment Network Security Solutions
Don't just have a great idea, build it!
American Express has embarked on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team. This is a great opportunity to join Global Network Services Technology (GNST) where we are partnering with the Network Services Operations (NSO) team to help deliver an exciting Global Payment Network that has been designed and built from scratch to run in our private cloud, using nothing but the latest and best tech stack available in the industry.
In this position you will be responsible for the engineering excellence and execution effectiveness, leading a team of self-starters to develop and implement innovative technology solutions. This Engineering Director is responsible for our High Availability Payment Tokenisation & Safekey (3D Secure) platforms, and will be required to provide thought leadership, engineering expertise and direction to the software product delivery team primarily based in the UK.
The successful candidate will have a deep technical understanding, a software development and design background, experience software engineering in a cloud native environment, be versatile, business savvy and be able to collaborate with business stakeholders, product teams and cross functional technology groups to drive continuous delivery.
- Leading a large Agile engineering team in an environment which includes backend tech stack and frameworks, continuous delivery pipeline in a cloud native environment.
- Ensure alignment of strategy, architecture, tools/methods with software engineers and architects to execute product roadmaps.
- Work with the Principal Architect, Staff Architects, Staff Engineers and Senior Software Engineers to build, improve and review system architecture and designs.
- Be able to do hands on coding as it relates to the development of proof of concepts and implementing strategic features and functionality.
- Supply technical leadership and apply best practices to further our technology solutions within the payments industry domain.
- Collaborate and partner effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including technology and product teams to drive change required to execute product roadmaps.
- Enable integrated teams to deliver technology solutions in support of key product initiatives by working closely with product managers, technical project managers, architects, engineers, and quality assurance.
- Coach, guide and promote creation of high quality, clearly documented, and compliant deliverables across engineering teams.
- Create an engaging and inclusive team culture where colleagues feel empowered to deliver at their best.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- A Computer Science / Computer Engineering / Information Systems degree, or equivalent experience.
- Proficiency in Java technologies in order to add technical value to its teams and perform code reviews.
- Hands-on technical experience in software development.
- Proven experience attracting, hiring and retaining top engineering talent.
- Experience developing scalable, backend applications using a variety of technologies, with expertise in Enterprise Java (advanced design pattern & common libraries) and cloud native technologies (microservices, containerized delivery, distributed cache, configuration and logging, observability tools, performance tools and NoSQL databases).
- Thought leadership, combining technical skills with business strategy.
- Ability to lead financial plans through strong analytical skills, problem identification and resolution, and delivery of business value.
- Strong communication and relationship building skills, with proven track record influencing and driving delivery across multiple partners. Comfortable managing constructive debate, and willingness to challenge the status quo.
- Strong focus on customers and clients with a history of exceeding customers’ expectations.
- Experience in the card payment network domain is a HUGE plus!
We place great importance on doing what is right, what is best and what is innovative. And we continue seeking people to champion these values and beliefs as we grow. The world is a big place, filled with big ideas and amazing people. And we want the best of them here at American Express. We’re interested in where you came from, but we’re even more excited about where you will go with American Express.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- Car Allowance/Company Car Option
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio and subsidised staff restaurant.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (free phone, subject to individual carrier charges). For Russia based candidates on 810 800 83 000038.