Maintenance and General Caretaking Apprentice
- Working week: You will be working Monday to Friday, but you may also be expected to work flexibly outside these hours to include occasional evenings and weekends, 40 hours per week
- Weekly wage: £200.00
- Expected duration: 18 months
- Possible start date: 04 Jan 2021
- Apprenticeship level: Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- Positions: 1 available
The general duties and responsibilities include:
- Be a reliable member of the team, working cooperatively and with flexibility
- Attend regular staff meetings and training sessions as required
- Be familiar with all emergency and security procedures
- Undertake a shared responsibility for health, safety, hygiene and cleanliness throughout the school
- Returning to school outside normal working hours to attend any matter if required by the Estates Manager or Headmaster if able to
- Upkeep and general care of the school
- Unlocking and re-locking bins in preparation for pick-up
- Assist with ensuring that external rubbish is stored appropriately
- Sweep yards, pick up litter and be responsible for the removal of all debris from paths, play areas, grassed areas, flowerbeds and all entrances
- Assist with general porterage duties and moving of furniture
- Assist with checking damage/security every morning on arrival at the premises
- Ensure that all refuse is disposed of promptly and stored away from the main building
- Report any defects of building, furniture, fittings and equipment to the Estates Manager
- Assist with opening and closing, unlocking and locking of school gates and buildings
- Open and close the school for evening use at times arranged by the Estates Manager as required
- Assistance with the overall security of the school premises including the locking of all windows and doors and the drawing of window blinds
- Security Mark new equipment
- Keep all hard surfaces free of moss and weeds
- Disinfect drains and dustbins regularly
- Make safe any hazards and ensure that the area is cordoned off
- Keep paths, entrances free of ice and snow to ensure the safety of children parents, staff and visitors
- Upkeep of grass and lawn areas at Junior and Senior School including mowing, hedge cutting and weeding
- Clearing paths of leaves, snow and other debris at all times
- General maintenance and minor repair work including: doors, windows, locks, toilet seats, and flushes, furniture, tap washers and some painting of doors and walls. (This list is not exhaustive, but an example) Appropriate painting and redecoration as required
- Liaise with the Estates Manager on the general works and maintenance programme
- To work with any contractors who are responsible for carrying out any specialist works
Heating, Lighting and Water:
- Assist with the switching off of all lights and appropriate electric plug sockets
- Ensure that all lights and heating are working effectively
- Assist with reading Gas, Electric and Water metres as required
- Monitoring and setting of heating controls and boilers
- Be aware of the location of all stopcocks, gas and electricity meters and read meters as required
- Ensure that the boiler rooms are tidy and that no flammable material is stored there
- Using appropriate PPE, replace, repair fluorescent tube starters and fluorescent tubes up to a height of eleven feet.
Requirements and prospects
We are looking for the following:
- Able to listen to instructions and carry them out accurately and in a timely manner
- Able to ask questions if they don't understand anything
- Patient when working in a busy and at times noisy environment
- Has good attention to detail
- Happy working as part of a team
- Able to take initiative after training
- Is keen to learn the wide range of skills needed for this role
We are looking for somebody who:
- Is willing to learn
- Is interested in learning about the upkeep of premises and all that goes with it
- Is able to adhere to health and safety regulations
- Is physically able to carry out the tasks required
- Educated to GCSE level
- May have English and maths GCSE at grade 4/C, equivalent or higher
- May have a Level 1 construction qualification
Whilst this is a fixed term contract for the apprenticeship we hope to be able to offer a permanent role on successful completion.
Things to consider
The day release for the training will be in Hastings.
Will undergo an enhanced DBS check.
About the employer
Lewes Old Grammar School
Employer is not registered as Disability Confident
We are a private day school in Lewes. We take pupils from 3 - 18 years old. We are the only mixed co-ed private day school in East Sussex and have a very good local reputation. We take students from across East and West Sussex and from Brighton and Hove.
Our school is divided into a series of buildings with our Senior School based on the High Street. Our Junior School Morley House, is in a lovely residential area on King Henry’s Road. We have recently acquired new facilities in Westgate Street.
Some of our buildings are listed and as a result the school is quite limited in how it can use/expand its space. The school has an ambitious 5 year plan to improve the facilities and ensure it can meet the needs of the curriculum. Major renovations are planned for the newly acquired buildings and further new classroom units will be built within the existing site.
The school’s IT system is currently subject to a significant upgrade and change in provision in order to keep pace with the needs of the school. Lewes Old Grammar School opened in 1512 and has a long and rich history in Lewes. The school has a very positive reputation and has worked hard on its academic record over the last 15 years.
It now performs extremely well in the regional league tables. The IT team are responsible for the service and technical support of the whole school across all sites. There are just over 100 staff and approximately 650 students.
Training provider EAST SUSSEX COLLEGE
Training to be provided
Intermediate Property Maintenance Operative Standard.
You will be working with the employer at their site and you will learn from your colleagues but you will also attend college one day a week in term time in Hastings. The programme is delivered over a 18 month period and you will undertake an end point assessment in the last three months of the apprenticeship.
Apprenticeship standard: Property maintenance operative.