- Working week: Monday-Friday 7.30am-4.30pm, 40 hours per week
- Weekly wage: £260.00
- Expected duration: 24 months
- Possible start date: 19 Apr 2021
- Apprenticeship level: Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- Positions: 1 available
Some of the key tasks, will include but are not limited to:
- Building studwork walls and staircases
- Hanging doors
- Working on large bespoke domestic projects
- Health & safety training
- Pitching roofs
- Wood finishing (to doors, windows and windowsills)
- Using different types of wood including oak, beech, ash, pine, as well as less well-known wood types
- Fitting kitchens
- Using a range of different tools
- Measuring, marking out, cutting, finishing, positioning and securing
- Safely storing materials, without causing damage
- Installing floor joist coverings
- Fitting hinges.
Requirements and prospects
- The ability to work in a team
- Time management
- Attention to detail
- Our clients expect us to be polite and appropriate language is expected on site at all times
- Be willing to follow instructions
- A desire to learn
- Being respectful to other members of staff and the clients
There are no essential qualifications for this apprenticeship however the successful apprentice will be required to undertake initial assessments in maths and English to ensure that they are at a high enough level to complete the apprenticeship.
We are however looking for someone who has a real desire to work in the construction industry.
Many of our ex apprentices have stayed on with the company once finishing their apprenticeship, so we are looking for an apprentice that we can train and who wants to stay with the company longer term. We like to help people have long term careers with us and many of our staff have been with us many, many years.
Things to consider
You will be expected to work hard and be dedicated to the team. You will be expected to be on site and alert at the appropriate times, despite the early morning starts! You will work with some very talented carpenters who will take the time to teach you well if you take the time to learn.
For this apprenticeship you will be required to go to East Sussex College, one day per week, for day release. This will be term time only and will be based at Eastbourne. Day release will begin in September.
Transport will be provided subject to your location being in range of one of our existing employees.
About the employer
CRB CONTRACTORS LIMITED
CRB is a family-owned and managed company with a staff of 12 full-time employees, supported by a network of specialist sub-contractors. We work across Sussex and Kent. We work on larger, bespoke domestic projects with values between £100k and £750k.
CRB have many in house carpenters that form the backbone of our business. Carpentry is found in nearly every aspect of building and roofing work so it’s no surprise that carpenters make up the majority of our tradesman. Carpentry includes everything from pitching a roof to fitting a kitchen and so on.
CRB's carpenters use only Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) accredited timber which comes from certifiable sources. Our carpenters understand timber, and use the strongest, graded types where they are needed. CRB works with respected suppliers to ensure we have access to the best quality timber, which not only gives our clients better, straighter, and stronger buildings but also keeps our carpenters happy – because they love to work with good wood! CRB works with all types of wood and are able to install oak frame roofs and buildings using traditional techniques as well as modern bespoke Glulam beam.
9 Duchess Drive
Training provider: EAST SUSSEX COLLEGE GROUP
Training to be provided
- Apprenticeship Certificate (Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- Level 1 Functional Skills Maths and English (equivalent to GCSE grade D-E or level 3-1) unless exempt.
20% of your contracted working hours will be spent on training. Training will largely be covered by doing day release to college. There will however be on site training as well. You will learn from your mentor and do a lot of shadowing.
Apprenticeship standard: Carpentry and Joinery.