Apprentice Care Practitioner
5 days left
- Full Time
- Working week: 25-35 hours per week, 5 days per week, evening and weekend work required.
- Weekly wage: £262.50 - £385.00
- Expected duration: 13 months
- Possible start date: 19 Apr 2021
- Apprenticeship level: Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- Positions: 1 available
To deliver a superior standard of care to our clients in accordance with the CQC Essential Standards of Quality and Safety, the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2010, the Company’s internal policies, the care plan and the wishes of the client.
Duties and Responsibilities (Depending on competence)
1. Assisting clients with personal care in accordance with their care plan. This may include:
- Showering, bathing or strip washes
- Hair washing
- Assistance when using the toilet
- Assistance with mobilisation
- Foot care (not cutting toenails)
2. Assisting the client in taking any prescribed medication in accordance with specific written instructions documented in the care plan and the Company’s Medication Policy. This may include:
- General support such reordering medication, collecting prescriptions and opening bottles
- Administration of medication in liquid or tablet form from a pre-filled dosset box or its original labelled container
- The application of topical preparations such as creams, gels and ointments
- Assistance with the administration of eye, nose or ear drops
- Assistance with nebulisers and inhalers
3. Assisting the client with other health related activities which may include:
- Assistance with continence aids
- Assistance with catheter care
- Changing the external leg or night bag of an indwelling catheter
- Assistance with support stockings
- Assistance with changing stoma bags
- Assistance with slings, supports and braces
- Performing basic health checks such as monitoring oxygen saturations, blood pressure, blood sugars and urinalysis
- Pressure area care and basic wound car
4. Assisting the client to enable them to enjoy an appropriate diet of their choice. This may include:
- Menu planning
- Preparing snacks and drinks
- Feeding or providing assistance with feeding
- Washing up
5. Assisting with general upkeep of the client’s home. This may include:
- Basic cleaning such as dusting and vacuuming
- Managing the disposal of refuse in accordance with local authority requirements
6. Assisting the client with their finances. This will be strictly in accordance with the care plan and company policy on dealing with client finances. Duties may include:
- Paying bills
- Collecting pension
- Accompanying the client to the bank or post office
7. Providing assistance to clients to enable them to access necessary services, participate in community life and avoid becoming isolated. This may include:
- Providing transport, or escorting the client to medical or dental appointments
- Providing companionship
- Escorting the client to social appointments or activities
- Reading and writing letters on behalf of the client
- Basic care of pets
- Providing assistance and support with regards to any rehabilitation plans in place
8. General administration to support the delivery of care. This will include:
- Utilising the electronic monitoring system to record your arrival and departure from each visit
- Ensuring any changes to care needs or risks are reported to the office in a timely manner
- Checking the client summary and associated case forms at the start of each visit to familiarise yourself with any changes
- Recording the activities performed during a visit via the care planning app and as a paper record if required
- Reporting any concerns, feedback or other issues to the management team in a timely manner
- Attending and participating in development reviews and training as required.
9. Any other reasonable duties as requested by a member of the management team.
Requirements and prospects
- A full driving licence and access to private transport is
- Fluent in both spoken and written English.
- Experience of dealing with clients with specific conditions such as dementia or a physical disability.
- A minimum of 1 years experience in a relevant care setting.
- Any other formal training relevant to the provision of domiciliary care.
- Experience of end of life care.
- An understanding of the CQC Essential Standards of Quality and Safety and legislation regarding the safeguarding and protection of vulnerable adults.
- The ability to act in accordance with regulatory guidance and company policy.
- Clear verbal and written communication.
- A professional, positive and friendly manner and the ability to build professional relationships with clients and their families.
- The ability to remain calm in the event of an emergency and instigate the necessary procedures.
- Being honest, reliable and trustworthy at all times.
- The ability to work independently whilst recognising the individual contribution each employee makes in the overall capabilities of the team.
- Holds or is willing to work towards a minimum of a level 2 Diploma in Health and Social care.
- Completion of Care Certificate.
- If you do not have maths and English GCSEs or Functional Skills you will be required to undertake an initial assessment in maths and English before starting the apprenticeship to ensure that you would be at the required level.
At the end of the apprenticeship our aim is for those that successfully complete the apprenticeship to stay and grow with the company. We are very supportive of upskilling our staff and many have completed qualifications at levels 2, 3, 4 and 5, based upon their job role.
Things to consider
- If you are looking for a full time position we are able to offer contracts at either 25 or 35 hours per week. The wages included in this advertisement are for a 35 hour week.
- If you work a 25 hour week, the length of the apprenticeship will be extended.
- Unlike many care providers, we don’t routinely use zero hour contracts and we pay our Carers for the time they spend travelling between clients. Our approach results in employee turnover being significantly lower than the industry average, thus providing better continuity of care for our Clients.
- All new employees are required to complete comprehensive induction training which incorporates the knowledge and skills required by the Care Certificate and ensures they are familiar with our values, policies, and procedures.
- New employees will work alongside experienced members of the team until we are satisfied that they are able to meet the high standards of care provision that we require.
- Applicants that have already completed the Level 2 Adult Care Worker Apprenticeship may be able to begin on Level 3.
- The start date can be negotiable, especially if you are still in college and your course finishes this summer.
Wages are as follows:
- £7.50 - £9.75 per hour weekdays
- £8.50 - £10.75 per hour weekdays after 6pm
- £10.50 - £12.75 per hour weekends
- £15.00 - £19.50 per hour Public Holidays.
About the employer
ELITE CHOICE HOME CARE LIMITED
Elite Choice Home Care Ltd provide a range of comprehensive services in order to support clients to live in their homes for as long as possible. Support can include a variety of different services such as personal care, shopping, meal preparation and assistance with feeding, laundry, and other light domestic duties and companionship.
The company operates 365 days a year, 7 days per week. We are able to provide regular ongoing support or short term care, for example, rehabilitation after a stay in hospital. Whilst we can accommodate night sitting, we do not offer live-in care services.
Cobbs Mill Units Unit 4
Training provider: EAST SUSSEX COLLEGE GROUP
Training to be provided
- Apprenticeship Certificate (Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- Level 2 Diploma in Care
- Level 1 Functional Skills in English and Maths (equivalent to GCSE grade D-E or level 3-2) unless exempt.
Apprenticeship standard: Adult care worker.
Before applying for this apprenticeship, please note that we can only accept applications from candidates that have eligibility to work in the UK.
Apply for Apprentice Care Practitioner
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly