Painter and Decorator
- Working week: 40 Hours to be discussed at interview
- Weekly wage: £166.00
- Expected duration: 36 months
- Possible start date: 10 May 2021
- Apprenticeship level: Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- Positions: 1 available
Being a Painter and Decorator is a challenging and active role. You should be physically fit and will require the skills and an aptitude to carry out various tasks associated with painting and decorating and willing to learn.
You will be working under supervision and will be responsible for a variety of different tasks -
- measuring surface areas and working out how much paint or wall covering is needed
- preparing the materials you need
- stripping off old wallpaper or layers of paint
- filling holes and cracks and making sure surfaces are level
- covering surfaces with primer and undercoat
- mixing paint to the right shade, often using computerised colour-matching equipment
- applying coats of paint, hanging wallpaper and adding special finishes like glazes or marbling
- tidying up after finishing, and cleaning your tools
Use different application methods including brush, roller, spray, power-assisted rollers and special effects tools.
Prepare and strip surfaces using abrasives, chemical etchants, power sanders, heat and liquid methods.
Requirements and prospects
- To be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- customer service skills.
Excellent time keeping skills, a positive attitude and eagerness to get work done in a timely fashion whilst maintaining a high standard.
Good GCSE results (A-C or equivalent) are desirable.
After successful completion of the apprenticeship a full time position as a sub-contractor could be offered.
About the employer
Superior Decorating Ltd
At Superior Decorating, we believe a job is only as good as it’s finishing touches. We were established in 2000 and over the years have built a superb reputation for ourselves.
We have worked at many prestigious venues, including ex-prime minister’s homes, Arabian Royalty, top London hotels such as The Mandarin, The Berkeley, The Connaught and the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden.
We do all types of internal and external decorating.
We work in Sussex, Surrey, Kent and South London, all areas within a thirty-mile radius of Gatwick.
Training provider: EAST SUSSEX COLLEGE GROUP
Training to be provided
East Sussex College will provide the apprenticeship standard which will include the Diploma and Functional Skills if required.
East Sussex College will ensure Health & Safety, and Equality & Diversity
The duration for the Painter and Decorator Standard is 36 months and students will attend college one day a week for the duration of the apprenticeship.
Before applying for this apprenticeship, please note that we can only accept applications from candidates that have eligibility to work in the UK.