Advanced Site Carpentry Apprentice
- Working week: 8.00am-4.30pm Monday to Friday
- Total hours per week: 40.00
- Weekly wage: £184.80 to £356.40
- Expected duration: 24 months
- Possible start date: 02 Aug 2021
- Apprenticeship level: Advanced Level Apprenticeship
- Positions:1 available
The job description includes the following:
- Ability to work safely and promote health and safety in the work area
- Understand the programme of work for your area and plan your work work accordingly
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with managers, supervisors and work colleagues
- Interpret technical specifications and ensure compliance with legislation and determine the best way of carrying out the work and communicate this to colleagues
- Select the required quantity and quality of resources required for carrying out complex work including timber, tools and fixings
- Be prepared to take a lead when working in a team
- Demonstrate and utilise a range of advanced trade skills e.g. measuring, marking out, fitting, cutting, splicing, finishing, positioning and securing
- Install complex and non-standard doors and window frames, shaped door and hatch linings, partitions with openings and changes of direction and staircases with turns
- Install accessible service encasements, bespoke wall/floor units and fitments, panelling and stair components
- Erect inclined roofs and gables, roof verges and eaves, including finishings, joists and roof coverings
- Repair and or replace frames, mouldings, floor or flat roof joist coverings, door and window ironmongery, window components, structural joists and rafters, window components, guttering and downpipes
- Demonstrate effective communication in written, oral, body language, presentation formats
- Work effectively without supervision and give leadership to others
- Take responsibility for completing own work and monitoring the work of others
- Make decisions using clear an dvalid reasoning
- Undertake work in a reliable and productive manner
- Use own time effectively to complete work on schedule and support effective team working
- Be able to implement change and adjust existing requirements to meet the work instructions.
Requirements and prospects
We are looing for someone who:
- Has demonstrated good carpentry skills
- Understands the need for adhering to health and safety legislation
- Is mindful of the use of resources and understands the need to be efficient in their use
We want you to be:
- A committed team worker who is ready to learn to lead
- Able to communicate to your colleagues, supervisors and clients in a professional manner.
- You will have successfully completed a level 2 Carpentry qualification
- A CSCS Skills card (Blue) will be required - Or passed within 1 month
On successful completion of the apprenticeship we would hope that the candidate will continue their career with PD Harris.
Things to consider
We have on-going contracts in the East Sussex area so being able to move around the area independently would be an advantage. You will be studying at the Construction Centre in Hastings so being able to get to college one day per week is essential.
P.D. HARRIS (HENFIELD) LIMITED
We are a well established family building company that has been working in the South East for over 60 years. the family connection underpins the ethos of the company and as such a local labor force, apprenticeships and continual professional development is established and maintained. The development of long-term relationships with employees, subcontractors, clients and consultants is fostered, creating shared and respected values.
The highest level of professionalism and unrelenting commitment to any project, ensureing attendtion to detail and high standards, forms the basis of the success of the company.
PD Harris Ltd works in many disciplines and project types across various sectors within the construction industry, covering the South East of England.
The Granaries Paynesfield Unit 4-5
Training provider: EAST SUSSEX COLLEGE GROUP
Training to be provided
You will be employed full time by the company and attend college one day a week in Hastings or Eastbourne to complete your training. You will have 20% of your paid time in 'off the job' learning and you will complete your apprenticeship with an End Point Assessment which includes:
- A knowledge test
- A practical skills test
Apprenticeship standard: Advanced Carpentry and Joinery.