Learning Support Apprentice
Portslade Aldridge Community Academy
PACA is a vibrant, inclusive school where we put every student’s progress and success at the heart of all we do.
Our ambition is to support your child to develop the skills, knowledge, qualifications, character and ambition to create amazing opportunities and to be successful. In recent years our results have consistently improved. Rated GOOD by Ofsted, this summer again saw our students celebrating some exceptional GCSE results. 99% of our GCSE students progressed into sixth forms, further education or employment in 2019 - that 6% above the latest published national average. You can read about this year's GCSEs on our News pages.
Learning at PACA happens within and beyond the classroom and involves far more than the formal, taught curriculum. We actively help our students to recognise their leadership and development capabilities, and offer a great range of enrichment activities - from our award-winning Student Social Action Committee to the Junior Football Academy. Our students enjoy using our superb music facilities and creating in our renowned art department.
Portslade Aldridge Community Academy
To support the class teachers to enhance students learning either in groups or individually, ensuring pupils understand the work set, know their learning objectives and stay on task in order to make progress.
- To support within and outside the classroom the learning and emotional/social/behavioural needs of students receiving additional support in accordance with Trust policies.
- To assist the class teacher in preparation and adaptation of learning materials/resources.
- To deliver interventions in accordance with training given
- To assist in the assessment of student needs to benchmark against targets set by the teachers.
- Use specific feedback to help students make progress.
- To continually review the students’ support needs.
- To communicate regularly with teachers to provide clarity and consistency of role within lessons.
- To supervise student learning where necessary.
- To ensure students use technology safely.
- To provide support for personal care where necessary.
- To take part in and ensure the smooth and effective administration of the provision.
- To produce accurate records.
- To use computer systems, including specialist software eg: online registration, intervention programmes, and management information systems.
- To attend team and all other meetings regarding both student and curriculum development.
- To share information, in a timely manner as required with the Safeguarding Lead.
Education to GCSE standard grade C (or equivalent) in English
Maths Level 2 (or willingness to undertake)
- Competent in form filling
- Ability to communicate to a diverse range of people at all levels, verbally and in writing
- Time management skills, organisational skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Proven IT and keyboard skills
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team with interpersonal skills
Desirable but not essential
- Ability to manage challenging behaviour
- Working with people with learning difficulties and/or disabilities, emotional, social and behaviour needs
- Application/ Interview
- Supporting the learning needs of pupils
- Undertaking personal care
- Administering life-saving medication
- Working in an Educational environment
- Ability to work in a confidential manner
- Flexible and proactive in approach
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with customers
Training to be Provided
Teaching Assistant Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard, which you will receive training to develop and demonstrate the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviour also included:
- Level 3 Diploma – Supporting Teaching and Learning
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
- NCFE combined knowledge and competency-based qualification
- Work-based learning
- 20% off the job training
- Training is delivered on-line and face to face
- A nominated tutor
- Functional Skills in maths and English if required
Things to consider
Evening and weekend work may be required. You may be required to undertake such duties as may be reasonably required of you commensurate with this grade. Satisfactorily meeting the Trust’s employment checks – a Disclosure and Barring Service Check (including any relevant overseas checks), health assessment, references, qualifications and legal entitlement to work in the UK
A permanent position may be offered upon successful completion of the apprenticeship. Opportunity to learn and develop within the company. Progression on to higher apprenticeship / training