Learning Support Apprentice
St. John The Baptist RC Primary School
At SJB we are privileged to have the most amazing views – a constant reminder of the wonder and beauty of God’s creation.
Our vision is inspired by this, and by the ideas expressed by our children.
We will work together to ensure that they develop the confidence, knowledge and skills, to expand their horizons and reach for the stars. We want our children to believe that with trust in God, and with the help of the whole school community, they can achieve what they aim for and have a fulfilling life; rich with the rewards that faith and learning bring to heart, mind, body and spirit.
To support the class teachers to enhance students learning either in groups or individually, ensuring pupils understand the work set, know their learning objectives and stay on task in order to make progress.
Purpose of the Job
- Learn to support the class teacher to enhance pupils learning either in groups or individually, ensuring pupils understand the work set, know their learning objectives and stay on task in order to make progress.
- To undertake the apprenticeship in Teaching Assistant Level 3
- Pupils Learning and Development
- Learn to understand the need to provide feedback to support and facilitate an appropriate level of independence.
- Learn to understand appropriate levels of learning resources to identify and help address weaknesses, consolidate strengths and develop individualised expectations.
- Learn to recognise child development and the transition between key stages.
- Learn to recognise the use of technology to support learning.
- Learn to understand the need to accurately observe, record and report on pupil’s progress, participation and conceptual understanding to improve practice and assessment for different groups of pupils.
- Learn understand the school’s assessment procedures for benchmarking against targets set by the class teacher and be familiar with assessment materials.
Keeping children safe
- Learn to current statutory guidance, safeguarding policies and Prevent strategy.
- Learn to understand the importance of sharing relevant information with the designated Safeguarding Lead, first aid procedures and the broader health a and safety policies.
Developing Strategies for Support
- Learn to develop strategies to support and encourage pupils to move towards independent learning
- Learn to use varied vocabulary to ensure pupils’ understanding
- Learn to embed effective behaviour management strategies
Communication and Team Work
- Learn to deliver/lead small group teaching within clearly defined/planned parameters
- Education to GCSE standard grade C (or equivalent) in English
- Maths Level 2 (or willingness to undertake)
- Educated to NQF Level 2 or equivalent
- Basic understanding of child development and learning
- Experience of engaging or working with children
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and handle many tasks at once
- Ability to use ICT equipment and software
- Ability to engage professionally and work collaboratively with others
- Commitment to acquiring awareness and knowledge of Health and Safety policy and practice as it applies to their area of work
- Ability to co-operate and adhere to Health and Safety policy, practices and instructions
- To be able to demonstrate a commitment to the principles of Equalities and to be able to carry out duties in accordance with the Council’s Inclusive Council Policy.
- To demonstrate a commitment to your own personal development.
- Ability to communicate well and listen
- Ability to think and act quickly to address problems
- Ability to engage with and support pupils in a professional manner
- Be enthusiastic and open to new ideas
Training to be Provided
Teaching Assistant Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard, which you will receive training to develop and demonstrate the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviour also included:
- Level 3 Diploma – Supporting Teaching and Learning
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
- NCFE combined knowledge and competency-based qualification
- Work-based learning
- 20% off the job training
- Training is delivered on-line and face to face
- A nominated tutor
- Functional Skills in maths and English if required
Things to consider
Evening and weekend work may be required. You may be required to undertake such duties as may be reasonably required of you commensurate with this grade. Satisfactorily meeting the Trust’s employment checks – a Disclosure and Barring Service Check (including any relevant overseas checks), health assessment, references, qualifications and legal entitlement to work in the UK
A permanent position may be offered upon successful completion of the apprenticeship. Opportunity to learn and develop within the company. Progression on to higher apprenticeship / training.