JOB ID 5893
From 12 UK sites, our team of over 1,400 people deliver unique capabilities across air, land, sea, space and cyber for military, security and commercial customers, worldwide.
L3Harris in Crawley specialise in technology and systems to enable quality pilot training from distance learning systems applications and maintenance solutions to training devices and full flight simulators, our technology covers the complete training spectrum.
L3Harris are seeking industrial placements who will be responsible for providing support to the global L3Harris business by joining the Hardware Engineering team, who develop and design our next generation of Full Flight Simulators and Lower Level devices and support our existing product range. This is a challenging fast-paced environment. The team collaborates with all other departments including suppliers to ensure our designs meet technically both customer & regulatory requirements, as well ensuring we meets the business needs
This role will challenge you and push you out of your comfort zone, so we’re looking for bright, able students with sound theoretical Engineering knowledge, an ability to learn “on the job”, with excellent interpersonal skills.
In addition to the day-to-day activities, the Hardware Design Industrial Placement will participate in various internal initiatives to drive change and continuous improve our processes. Other opportunities will be made available to increase their organizational awareness with interaction across the wider L3H business. We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who really want to make the most of a placement year working in a complex, international and fast paced environment, pushing the boundaries of what can be learnt and experienced during a year’s placement
Most of all, we’re looking for people that are passionate about technology and who want to expand their horizons in an exciting and fast-moving area of Aerospace Simulation Business.
A few of our employee benefits are:
- 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays), increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell up to 5 days
- Private medical insurance with optional family cover
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution
- Life Assurance 4x salary (flexible up to 10x)
- Group income protection
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical illness cover and cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance program providing mental health and wellbeing support
What the role will involve:
The responsibilities of your role will include the following:
- Engineering problems solving skills and the ability to communicate these ideas into designs
- Using (CAD) Computer Aided Design Tools and or (FE) Finite Element Analysis
- Some experience and awareness of design for manufacture and a basic understanding of various manufacturing process
- An ability to interface well at all levels within the business
- Self-motivation with the ability to be innovative and think laterally to resolve issues, challenge working methods, champion change and help develop the function to achieve maximum effectiveness
What you’ll bring:
- Must be currently studying for an engineering degree (Design, Aeronautical, Mechanical or Electrical or similar)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Enthusiasm to perform to the best of their ability in everything they do and achieve the best result for the company by working in a flexible manner ensure high quality
- Strong organisational skills, excellent attention to detail and the ability to work to tight deadlines, managing multiple activities at once
- The ability to work proactively and employ initiative to propose new ideas
- The ability to excel in fast paced deadline oriented environment with high pressure situations, putting in the necessary work to complete the job
Important to know
Due to the nature of our work many our roles require a UK nationality and the ability to obtain a security clearance. Applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet the requirement of right to work in the UK and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information and will be subject to government security checks.
As an equal opportunities employer, L3Harris is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join L3Harris.
# Assoc, Mechanical Engrg
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination and offers equal opportunities for all. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships
Thank you for your patience as we transition to a new applicant tracking system. Please be aware that you may have applications in more than one system at this time and, as a result, you may receive communications regarding your applications from multiple systems.