JOB ID 778
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 50,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Simulator Maintenance Engineer
Job Code: 778
Job Location: UK – Crawley – West Sussex
Hours: Full-time shift work (2 Days, 2 Nights, 4 off, shift pattern)
About this opportunity and L3Harris UK
From 12 UK sites, our team of over 1,400 people deliver unique capabilities across air, land, sea, space and cyber for military, security and commercial customers, worldwide.
L3Harris in Crawley specialise in technology and systems to enable quality pilot training from distance learning systems applications and maintenance solutions to training devices and full flight simulators, our technology covers the complete training spectrum.
A few of our employee benefits are:
- Flexible, condensed or reduced working hours considered and hybrid working where possible
- 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays), increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell up to 5 days
- Private medical insurance with optional family cover
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution
- Life Assurance 4x salary (flexible up to 10x)
- Group income protection
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical illness cover and cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance program providing mental health and wellbeing support
About the role:
You will be a team member responsible for the maintenance and support of a range of Full Flight Simulators and Lower Level training devices.(FSTD’s). Act as a point of contact to the user/customer community for both technical and logistics issues. Undertake all duties as a member of the maintenance team providing a turnkey service. Perform any tasks related to maintaining the simulator qualification standard.
Day to day responsibilities will include:
- Perform / support scheduled simulator maintenance
- Troubleshooting and resolution of electrical / software and hardware defects
- Installation of software/ hardware updates and recording of update testing
- Maintenance of the Simulator Software Configuration Management System
- Assistance with annual re-certification activities
- System set up and pre-flight checks
- Managing spares stock and outsourced repairs
- Coaching of less experienced staff members
- Fly simulators for testing / approved visits and demonstrations
- Provide ‘Advice and Assistance’ in all areas of maintenance and support of the simulator to ensure maximum available training time is achieved
- Interface with simulator OEM’s
- Interface with in-house design and test departments to further investigations of outstanding defects and possible product improvements
- This role requires considerable Customer contact as well as interfacing with the relevant Training Services management teams and industry regulators
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
- Previous FSTD experience
- Flight or aircraft maintenance experience
- Educated to a minimum BTEC/HTEC, HND/HNC level or equivalent relevant qualification
- Proven electrical, electronic and mechanical theoretical knowledge supplemented with practical systems experience
- Methodical problem solving
- Proactive and able to act on own initiative
- Calm under time pressure when dealing with technical issues
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
What else could be helpful to be successful in this role:
- Aircraft systems experience
- Customer service experience
- Understanding of Windows operating systems
Please note applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet the requirement of right to work in the UK.
As an equal opportunities employer, L3Harris is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join L3Harris.