L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 50,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Mechanical Design Year in Industry Placement 2024 -2025 Brighton
Job Location – Brighton, West Sussex
Job ID - 8189
About this opportunity and L3Harris UK
From 12 UK sites, our team of over 1,400 people deliver unique capabilities across air, land, sea, space and cyber for military, security and commercial customers, worldwide.
L3Harris in Brighton are part of Release Systems and the Mission Avionics sector operating in the Aerospace domain. We specialise in high performance electro-mechanical systems and pneumatic technology for airborne weapon carriage release.
L3Harris are seeking industrial placements who will be responsible for providing support to the global L3Harris business by joining the Mechanical Design Engineering team, in a challenging fast-paced environment. The Mechanical Design team collaborates with every aspect of the business, in order to create solutions, deliver design requirements and respond to customer needs. Our Mechanical Design Engineering Placement will gain insight and exposure to all aspects of our Mechnical Design activities including producing design schemes and proposals in response to specifications, providing
detailed CAD (Solid Works) design layouts (model and draft) and manufacturing drawings. Calculating first order strength and performance of design solutions, selecting appropriate materials for a durable, minimum cost product and checking design drawings for completeness and accuracy
In addition to the day-to-day activities, the Mechanical Design Placement will participate in internal strategic initiatives to drive change and continuous improvement. Other opportunities will be made available to increase their organizational awareness with interaction across the wider L3H business. We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who really want to make the most of a placement year working in a complex, international and fast paced environment, pushing the boundaries of what can be learnt and experienced during a year’s placement.
A few of our employee benefits are:
- 12pm finish every Friday
- 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays), increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell up to 5 days
- Private medical insurance with optional family cover
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution
- Life Assurance 4x salary (flexible up to 10x)
- Group income protection
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical illness cover and cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance program providing mental health and wellbeing support
What you'll bring
- Must be currently studying for a degree within the subject of Engineering
- An active interest in Aviation/Aerospace would be highly beneficial
- Experience with LabVIEW, 3D CAD (Solidworks)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Excel
- Effective time management skills
- Highly analytical - able to interpret data quickly and effectively
- Some mechanical design experience and the ability to pick up new technologies quickly
- Enthusiasm to perform to the best of their ability in everything they do and achieve the best result for the company by working in a flexible manner ensure high quality
Important to know
Due to the nature of our work many our roles require a UK nationality and the ability to obtain a security clearance. Applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet the requirement of right to work in the UK and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information and will be subject to government security checks.
wide range of backgrounds to apply and join L3Harris.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination and offers equal opportunities for all. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships