L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 50,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title – Supplier Development Engineer
Job Location – Brighton - East Sussex - UK
Job ID – S5865
This role is open to hybrid working arrangements with a minimum of 2 days per week on site.
About this opportunity and L3Harris UK
From 12 UK sites, our team of over 1,400 people deliver unique capabilities across air, land, sea, space and cyber for military, security and commercial customers, worldwide.
L3Harris in Brighton are part of Release Systems and the Mission Avionics sector operating in the Aerospace domain. We specialise in high performance electro-mechanical systems and pneumatic technology for airborne weapon carriage release.
Joining our Operations Function as Supplier Development Engineer you will be working in a team environment as a key resource for the Procurement & Quality teams to develop new supply sources to improve cost competitiveness and be the conduit between the company and the supplier. Your responsibilities will include cross-functional program management to qualify new components, supporting issues with current production, developing new suppliers to reduce cost, increase capacity, and process audit suppliers to ensure conformance. You will manage the customer specific requirements and offer technical support and work on multiple phases or sub-tasks of projects or entire projects of moderate complexity, with results impacting on project completion.
A few of our employee benefits are:
- 12pm finish every Friday
- 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays), increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell up to 5 days
- Private medical insurance with optional family cover
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution
- Life Assurance 4x salary (flexible up to 10x)
- Group income protection
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical illness cover and cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance program providing mental health and wellbeing support
- Professional registration with the IET
What the role will involve
The responsibilities of your role will include the following:
- Champions ‘strategic’ Supplier related quality improvements & APQP delivery, aligning stakeholders
- Conducts key & strategic supplier audits, developing & improving supplier performance metrics
- Be an advocate for Operational Excellence initiatives
- Subject matter expert for best practice & operational excellence referrals
- Ensure supply base requirements (approvals, assessments, compliance) are maintained
- Work with suppliers to ensure root cause analysis & effective corrective action
- Champion APQP to drive PFMEA with strategic suppliers to mitigate risks & improve capability, removing bottlenecks in capacity to reduce delivery delays
What you’ll bring
The role of Supplier Development Engineer requires the following experience and skills:
- Extensive experience in relevant manufacturing / engineering across a wide range of manufacturing techniques, ideally underpinned to degree standard. Candidates with HNC or HND, A Levels, City & Guilds Level 3, BTEC National Diploma Level 3, IVQ Technician Diploma or equivalent NVQ level 3 qualification will be considered on their merits.
- Strong knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA).
- Experience in Sourcing, Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing and project management.
- Experience working in an AS9100 (TS16949) environment preferred
Important to know
Due to the nature of our business, many of our roles require UK nationality and the ability to obtain a security clearance. Applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet the requirement of right to work in the UK and must meet eligibility requirements for security clearance, access to classified information and will be subject to government security checks.
#LI - Hybrid
#LI - Mid-Senior Level
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination and offers equal opportunities for all. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and marriage and civil partnerships