L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 50,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Senior Electronics Design Engineer
Job Location: Brighton, UK
Job ID: 5829
Flexible, condensed or reduced working hours considered and hybrid working where possible.
About this opportunity and L3Harris UK
From 12 UK sites, our team of over 1,400 people deliver unique capabilities across air, land, sea, space and cyber for military, security and commercial customers, worldwide.
L3Harris in Brighton are part of Release Systems and the Mission Avionics sector operating in the Aerospace domain. We specialise in high performance electro-mechanical systems and pneumatic technology for airborne weapon carriage release.
A few of our employee benefits are:
- Flexible, condensed or reduced working hours considered and hybrid working where possible
- 12pm finish every Friday
- 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays), increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell up to 5 days
- Private medical insurance with optional family cover
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution
- Life Assurance 4x salary (flexible up to 10x)
- Group income protection
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical illness cover and cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance program providing mental health and wellbeing support
What the role will involve
The responsibilities of Senior Electronics Design Engineer will include the following:
- Responsible for the design, modelling, prototyping testing and evaluation of electronic and mechatronic devices or systems.
- Design to meet customers’ requirements and provide analysis and verification documentation to prove compliance.
- Prepares design specifications, analysis and recommendations for presentation and approval.
- Conducts investigations involving the specification or modification of component or process requirements.
- Guide, inspire and mentor less experienced engineers.
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to resolve problems found throughout the product development life cycle to ensure the larger programme schedules are achieved.
- Undertake complex analysis of circuits for design assurance, DFM, FMA.
Ideally you would have:
- Minimum 8 years in a senior design role.
- Aerospace and Defence Engineering experience, however multiple sector experience also considered.
- Full product life cycle design.
- Project Lead experience and mentoring of junior staff
- Some mechanical design input to cable harnessing, cable management and electronics packaging.
- Integration of electronic systems with mechanical hardware.
Knowledge and skills:
- Proficient user of Altium Designer for schematic capture and PCB layout.
- Analogue signal interface and conditioning.
- Power supply design for high reliability applications.
- Digital design including discrete, programable logic, FPGA using Quartus Prime.
- Modelling and simulation using LTSpice or similar package.
- Design for EMC, Lightning strike and harsh environments.
- EMC testing and evaluation.
- Programming using C++, Arduino, LabVIEW, VHDL etc.
- Understanding of manufacturing and assembly processes utilised in Aerospace.
- Ideally Degree or Masters–in Electrical/Electronics, Control Systems engineering
- Professional Membership– Member of professional body such as IET or working towards membership (desirable).
Important to know
Due to the nature of our work many our roles require a UK nationality and the ability to obtain a security clearance. Applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet the requirement of right to work in the UK and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information and will be subject to government security checks.
As an equal opportunities employer, L3Harris is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join L3Harris.