Development Manager - Software & App Development : Virgin Atlantic
- Full Time
Hours: 37.5 per week, Mon - Fri
Location: Crawley, West Sussex
Closing Date: 3rd December 2020
In a nutshell:
At Virgin Atlantic, we’re just as passionate as we’ve always been about becoming the most loved travel company. It’s been an uncertain year, for us, for everyone. There’s been ups and downs, some successes, and some sadness. One thing we know for sure – this year has shown that when we combine our brand with the power of amazing people, we make something truly magical.
Virgin Atlantic is still proudly flying, creating the same fabulous flight experience we’re famous for, and we’re busily laying the foundations for a profitable future. We know that the right people are key to creating success – so we’re looking for someone brilliant to join our team and help us achieve our vision. Perhaps that’s you? We’d love to find out.
We're looking for a Development Manager or Lead Developer ready to step up into the exciting role of Development Manager - Software and App Development.
Do you have a proven track record of leading Agile teams and driving cutting edge Digital transformation? Are you from a hands-on technical background and able to manage teams, review code and set best in class standards? If so we'd love to hear from you!
To achieve our mission in becoming the most loved travel company. it's key that we transform Virgin Atlantic’s digital estate to support end to end user journeys across the whole travel ribbon.
As Development Manager your skills as a highly experienced software engineer and people manager will help oversee a best in class development capability as part of the Digital leadership team.
Day to Day:
- Responsibility for ensuring that high technical standards are met that encompass code quality, test coverage, robustness and security.
- Working closely with other technology stakeholders to design and build loosely connected micro service architectures that enable product teams to work independently at pace.
- You will make sure the technology roadmap is being delivered in partnerships with Enterprise Architecture.
- Lead architectural design for new solutions to optimise for security, resiliency and cost.
- Continually refine existing architectures to take advantage of new technologies that improve security, resiliency or cost profile.
- Ensure that the team has the skills, knowledge, tools and resources.
- Coach and mentor the team and wider community to create a high performing development team.
- Lead the development affinity group, creating an environment to share cross-cutting concerns, new patterns and share ways of working.
- Maintain a credible level of technical expertise by maintaining hands-on development experience and dedicating time to learning new technologies, methodologies and technical thought leadership.
- Review pull requests for major technical changes.
At Virgin we use a wide range of technology across our brands. We therefore do not expect you to have experience in our entire stack, but a broad technical skill set and the passion and ability to learn new languages is essential.
Please see a list of the desirable skills and experience below:
- Shipping products using agile and lean methodologies such as Scrum and/or Continuous Delivery.
- Working in a matrix style organisation where direction can come from multiple senior stakeholders.
- Java/J2EE or a similar high-level language.
- Distributed microservices architecture.
- Leading cross-functional teams.
- Azure / AWS.
- Experience of Enterprise CMS systems (AEM 6.X/CQ5).
- Knowledge of object oriented programming and MVC paradigm.
- HTML/CSS markup.
- Problem solving skills with a focus on helping the team finding the “right” solution.
- Attention to detail, the ability to pre-empt issues before they manifest themselves.
- Ability to work at a fast pace and be composed under pressure, positively responding to change, and adapting to new ways of working.
- Experience of code reviewing to governance standards.
If this sounds like you, please apply today. We look forward to hearing from you!